15 Years Later - Chapter One

BEING CALLED out of class was usually not a good sign. Professor McGonagall had tried to be subtle but it was clear that something was wrong. Lyra was a step behind the professor as she led her to her office. Professor McGonagall sat down behind her desk and motioned for Lyra to sit. She pulled out a piece of parchment that she had received earlier in the day and handed the letter over to the 15-year-old.

Lyra was confused at first but opened the letter. She immediately recognised the handwriting as her mother's. Looking up at her professor, she waited, and once Professor McGonagall nodded she started reading the letter.

Lyra's eyes skimmed across the page but nothing seemed to register after the first line of the letter. Her mother was dying. Tears started to form as she tried to read anything else but her mind was racing. "I-" Lyra started but a sob wretched through her and the floodgates had opened. She dropped the letter and covered her face embarrassed that she was crying in front of her professor. She heard footsteps approach her and a warm hand was placed on her shoulder in comfort.

"I'm very sorry Miss Polvala," Professor McGonagall started. "I know the healers have tried their best to find what is wrong with your mother but they can't find anything and she's declining rapidly." Lyra let out another sob at the thought of losing her mother.

"W-why am I only hearing about t-this now?" Lyra asked lifting her face from her hands.

"It was your mother's wishes. She didn't want to worry you." Professor McGonagall informed. Lyra felt hollow as the news of her mother started to sink in.

"When will I see her?" Lyra asked peering up to the professor.

"Professor Dumbledore is with her as we speak and he'll come by to get you once your mother is ready," McGonagall said as she moved back to her desk. "I've taken you out of class for the rest of the day," She said passing over a permission slip. Lyra took it and stood up. Her body felt heavy as she walked out of Professor McGonagall's office. She could barely lift her feet as she trudged her way to the Gryffindor common room. She relayed the password walked through the fat lady's portrait and went up to her bed closing the curtains. She had held herself together long enough to get some privacy but then the tears started to flow. She didn't care how loud she was as her thoughts were clouded by grief. Her mother, her only family was dying.

It felt like she had been crying for hours as the sun plunged into the Black Lake. She heard the common room come to life as her classmates and fellow Gryffindors returned from dinner. She wasn't hungry, and the smell of food only made her feel sick. She wanted to throw up but couldn't. Her throat was sore from sobbing and her pounding headache only contributed to her inner pain. She could string a logical thought together as sadness overwhelmed her. She just wanted to cry and be with her mother. She needed to see her for herself. To confirm what the letter told her. That's when the girl's dorm door opened.

"Lyra?" Hermione's voice was low as she made her way over to Lyra. She slowly opened the curtain to see Lyra curled up in a ball with swollen eyes and wet cheeks. "What happened?" She asked as she gently sat on the bed. Lyra pulled out the now tear-soaked letter and handed it over to Hermione. Lyra buried her face in her knees as she held them to her body. She wanted to disappear. She heard Hermione's small gasp as she read the letter then arms were thrown around her in a comforting hug. "I can't believe it." She said as she read over the letter for the third time.

"I don't want to believe it," Lyra said as she wiped her eyes clear of tears.

"I'm so sorry," Hermione said as sadness washed over her. She pulled Lyra into another warm embrace not knowing what else to do to help her friend. Lyra just cried on Hermione's shoulder soaking her uniform but both Lyra and Hermione didn't care as they both grieved. Jane had been such a prominent figure in Hermione's life. She could always turn to her if she had any questions about schoolwork or anything magic-related. Jane was always willing to talk with Hermione's parents and clarify anything they didn't understand about being a parent to someone with magical talent. That was something she truly appreciated. She was like a second mum to Hermione which only made it that much harder to keep herself together as Lyra sobbed.