The Next Day - Chapter Two

IT WAS hard getting out of bed the next morning. Lyra, Fred, George, and Lee had stayed up late that night making sure every detail of their plan was rock solid. Lyra even suggested using Harry's invisibility cloak for more cover and decided to ask him in the morning. Lyra liked that she wasn't so down and the prank was a good distraction for her.

Her body felt heavy as she dragged herself to her trunk pulled out her robes and headed for the showers. All she needed was a skin-burning shower to wake her up.

Pulling on her clothes Lyra made her way down to the common room. She spotted Ron sitting on the couch by the unlit fireplace just staring into the ashes. Lyra hadn't realised how affected Ron had been to the news of her mother because she had been so focused on her grief. She silently sat down next to him and leaned back on the couch still giving him some space. However, it wasn't long before he joined her and put his head on her shoulder. They sat there in silence for a while as other Gryffindor students got themselves ready for class.

Ron let out a sad sigh making Lyra's stomach drop because she knew exactly how he felt. Ron always had a special bond with her mother, he knew that he could turn to her for anything. Lyra didn't feel jealous when they had their moments if anything it made them have a stronger bond. Lyra knew that the news about her mum was affecting her as much as it was Ron and she felt guilty pushing him away. "I'm sorry Ron," Lyra said making him look at her.

"What? Why?" Ron asked moving back.

"I didn't mean to cut everyone off like I did. I was just-" Lyra rambled.

"Stop." Ron cut off. Lyra stopped talking and looked down. "It's not your fault."

"I know, but-" Lyra started.

"It's okay." He said as he put his arm over her shoulder. He pulled her in for a side hug making her feel a little better about how she had been acting.

"Ron, I just want you to know that I consider you part of my family and hope that we can stay that way even when my mum passes," Lyra said as she pulled away from Ron.

"Of course, we'll stay that way," Ron said a little hurt at the notion they wouldn't.

"Ron, I didn't mean-" Lyra said as tears started to form. "I-" She covered her face with her hands at the uncertainty of her future. Ron felt sad as he watched his friend break down in front of him. He reached out to her placing his hand on her shoulder as she fell forward into his chest. He put his arm around her as she cried in his chest. He felt a little out of place but he wanted to support her, he couldn't imagine losing his mum, or anyone in his family.

It didn't take long for Lyra to compose herself and that's when Hermione and Harry joined them. The four of them left for the Great Hall for some breakfast and sat down in their usual spot with Fred, George, and Lee.

Lyra started piling her plate with some bacon and eggs with toast and ended with a glass of orange juice. They all ate in comfortable silence with Ron stuffing his face and making Lyra smile. It almost felt normal, like any other day but the lingering thoughts of her mother kept her in reality. Lyra looked over to Hermione who was just staring at Ron in utter disgust as grease covered Ron's mouth and hands. He was shoveling the food in his mouth handfuls at the time, it was almost impressive if it wasn't so incredibly messy. "Ron," Lyra said looking between him and his hands.

"What?" He asked with his mouth still full of food.

"A little restraint, we're not in a pigpen." Lyra pointed out.

"Uh, right." Ron noticed, putting down the food in his hand and swallowing the rest in his mouth. Shaking her head with a smile Lyra threw back the rest of her juice and stood up from the table. "Where are you going?" Ron asked finishing off his plate.