Chapter 12: As Action Looms Closer

WHEN the element of surprise has subsided, the guests have also finally gained a quarter of their composure back. Malaya na nila muling naiaabot ang kutsarita para haluin ang lumamig nang tsa-a sa kanilang harapan at maging ang bahagyang sumandal sa kani-kanilang upuan ay hindi na nila ikinakahiya.

Gayunpaman, hindi lubos na nakalulugod ang pangangasong matutuldukan nang kay dali. At mukhang hindi lamang ako ang may ganitong sentimyento gayong ekspertong niloob ni Reinald ang kasalukuyang litrato.

"I already have Dr. Pherenn contacted, sir. The car is also ready should you and Mrs. Montelier decide to go home for the day instead as well," he courteously said as soon as he executed a graceful bow to his master, his right hand landing on his left chest.

"Thank you for the thought, Cortez. I think we'll need a chair instead," Caesar answered flatly as his eyes wandered to my wounded hand again.

Unlike how easily my employer laid his choice, the guest sitting beside Mr. Salonga seemed to feel otherwise. "With all due respect, Mr. Montelier. How are we supposed to talk about certain agendas with the missus⁠—"

"Is there even an agenda that the madame of the Familia de Montelier is not allowed to know?"

"T-That's..."

"Cortez, the chair. Now."

Hindi kinailangan ng boses ng lalaking katabi ko na dumugundong upang mapatikom ang bisita. Pawang ang sulido at kalmadong pag-uulit niya sa napili ay sapat na para mapagtanto nila ang impluwensya ng presensya ng 'Mrs. Montelier' sa lamesa.

"Yes, sir." The consigliere immediately whisked his hand skillfully, automatically calling a subordinate nearby to rush to the other end of the long table.

Normally, the guests would've to move so that the wife of a superior may sit closest to him, yet the chair was pulled and brought to Caesar's right as if it had always belonged there in the first place.

"Please sit here, madam," udyok ni Reinald sa akin nang maiabot sa kaniya ang upuan. "Do tell me if you're feeling uncomfortable in any way."

Sa bahagyang paghawi ko sa laylayan ng coat bago makaupo, he sneakily leaned toward me. "You've been dressed as a raven. Now be a raven," he whispered, and only when I was already sitting with my legs crossed did he let the chair go. Copy that.

Nais ko pa sanang magdagdag ng maikling pasasalamat ngunit hinablot na ng amo ko ang kahit anong pagkakataon kagaya nang kung paano niyang hinablot ang kaliwang kamay ko. "Thank you, Cortez. We can take it from here. You may leave now," ani nito nang nilalaro ang singsing sa daliri ko imbes na tingnan ang sariling tauhan niya.

Saglit akong napamaang sa pagsingit nito. Mas lalo na nang mahinang humagikgik ang matandang bisita sa may kanan ko. "My, my. Please don't tell us you've hidden your wife from everyone else and refused talking about it because you're trying to keep her to yourself."