02. A Welcoming Reunion

Lucy sat on her bed and opened the letter to read it aloud. Edmund sat next to her.

"I do wish you were here with us. It's been such an adventure, but nothing like our times in Narnia. America is very exciting, except we never see Father. He works so very hard. I was invited to the British Consul's tea party this week by a naval officer, who happens to be very handsome. I think he fancies me..."

Edmund rose from the bed, deep in thought. He caught the hidden meaning in his elder sister's words. Lucy, however, did not seem to catch the hidden meaning.

Lucy continued reading. "It seems the Germans have made the crossing difficult right now. Times are hard. Mother hopes you three won't mind another few months in Cambridge..."

The two shared a disappointed, shocked look.

"Another few months?" Lucy repeated. "How will we survive?"

Edmund sat next to her. "You're lucky; at least you've got your own room. I'm stuck with Mullet Mouth."

Lucy rolled her eyes as she stood.

"Susan, Isabel and Peter are the lucky ones. Off on adventures." She paused in front of a mirror, looking at her reflection with sad, disapproving eyes.

Edmund laid on the bed, rereading the letter. "Yeah, they're the eldest and we're the youngest. We don't matter as much."

Lucy smiled weakly, tucking her hair behind her ear. "Do you think I look anything like Susan or Isabel?"

Edmund missed the exchange and quietly read the rest of the letter.

"Peter has made plenty of friends and he studies ever so hard. I wanted to take a nurse's course to help with the wounded soldiers, but mother and her new friends are intent on moulding me into the perfect housewife. To look at me now, you wouldn't think that I once fought with a bow and arrow. We both miss you all so terribly. I hope you are well and you write as soon as possible.

Your loving sister and friend,

Susan."

Edmund sighed and set the letter down, staring at the painting. "Lucy, have you seen this ship before?" He walked towards it.

Lucy turned to him with a smile. "Yes, it's very Narnian-looking, isn't it?" She joined him.

"Yeah," Edmund agreed. "Just another reminder that we're here and not there."

"There once were two orphans who wasted their time, believing in Narnian nursery rhymes," Eustace sang in a taunting tone with a stuck-up expression.

Edmund and Lucy turned and glared at their cousin.

Edmund moved towards Eustace. "Please let me hit him!"

"No!" Lucy cried, grabbing an arm to restrain him.

"Don't you ever knock?"

"It's my house," Eustace retorted obnoxiously. "I'll do as I please. You're just guests." He sat on Lucy's bed. Edmund and Lucy ignored him as they turned back to the painting. "What's so fascinating about that picture anyway? It's hideous." He crossed his arms.

"You won't see it from the other side of the door."

Eustace shot him a dirty look and glanced at the black and white picture of Susan hugging Peter on Lucy's bedside table. He rolled his eyes and set the pictures facedown so he wouldn't have to see them.

"Edmund, it looks like the water is actually moving," Lucy said in a hypotonic tone.

"What rubbish!" Eustace exclaimed. "See? That's what happens when you read all those fanciful novels and fairy tales of yours."