07. A Creation of Great Worth

Eustace sat by himself writing in his diary. Isabel had walked off, deeming what her cousin was doing private.

Drinian walked up and hung his wet cloak on a hook.

Caspian glanced up at the captain. "What's the update, Drinian?"

Drinian placed something on the map and said, "So, we're stuck here, at half-rations, with food and water for two more weeks, maximum. This is your last chance to turn back, Your Majesties."

Isabel raised a brow as he continued. "There's no guarantee we'll spot the Blue Star anytime soon. Not in this storm."

Caspian stared out the window, deep in thought. Drinian, once again, spoke. "Needle in a haystack trying to find this Ramandu place. We could sail right past it and off the edge of the world."

Isabel's voice was laced with a hint of concern as she said, "No, I don't believe we will. But, my dear, we must to stop this green mist."

"Or get eaten by a sea serpent," Edmund joked, earning a frown from Isabel and Caspian.

Drinian didn't appreciate Edmund's joke either. "I'm just saying the men are getting nervous. These are strange seas we're sailing. The likes of which I've never seen before."

Isabel glanced at Caspian to see him focused on the floor intently and she took his hand, giving it a gentle squeeze. He looked up at Drinian. "Then perhaps, Captain, you would like to be the one to explain to Mr. Rhince that we are abandoning the search for his family."

Drinian looked ashamed as his gaze shifted between them. "I'll get back to it. Just a word of warning. The sea can play nasty tricks on a crew's mind. Very nasty. Your Highness, may I escort you to your cabin?"

Isabel shook her head. "I'll be all right, Captain. Thank you though for the kind offer." She kissed Caspian. "Goodnight, my darling."

Caspian smiled and kissed Isabel's forehead. "Goodnight, my love. Sleep well."

Edmund waved goodbye to his sister and she walked through the ship and to her cabin. Lucy and Gael were already in the cabin. Gael was asleep, and Lucy looked close.

Lucy pulled out the spell and read it quietly, glancing to see her eldest sister asleep. She knew Isabel wouldn't approve of her wanting to be beautiful by spell-use, but she had to do it.

LUCY'S DREAM

Lucy woke and realised the ship wasn't moving. Light was beaming through the windows and a large mirror was in the cabin. It was as though it appeared by magic. Lucy walked towards the mirror. Her nightgown changed into a blue dress with daffodils. She became slender and her hair curled. Her skin paled and she became Susan. She was beautiful. She opened the door and walked into a garden in what she guessed was America. 'In The Mood' by Glenn Miller played.

A steward smiled at her. "Ladies and gentlemen. Miss Pevensie."

Everyone applauded and Lucy smiled. Handsome young men were looking at her in admiration.

"She's quite the looker."

"Swell."

She loved being noticed for once. She turned to see her older brother. "Edmund!" Lucy cried, linking her arm in his, noticing how quiet her voice was.

Edmund smiled widely at her and walked beside her. "You look beautiful, sister."

"As always," another voice said. Lucy turned to see Peter.

"Peter!" she exclaimed, also linking her arm in his.

A photographer appeared and asked, "Excuse me, miss, can I get a photo?"

They all smiled and posed for him and Peter said, "Mother's going to love this. All her children in one photo."

Something wasn't right. "Smile," the photographer told them.

"Hang on. Where am I? I mean, where's Lucy and Isabel?" Lucy wondered.

Edmund glanced to her, a confused expression on his face. "Lucy? Isabel? Who's Lucy and Isabel?"

Lucy's gaze shifted to Peter and he was reacting the same way. The photographer took the photo.

She tried to escape her brothers' grasp, but Peter kept a strong arm around her waist. "Susan, what's wrong?"

"Come on now, Miss. Nice big smile," the photographer instructed.

"Edmund, I'm not sure about all this. I think I want to go back."

"Go back where?" he asked with a wide smile.

Peter was smiling down at Lucy as she said uncertainly, "To Narnia."

"Narnia?" Peter asked.

"What on earth is Narnia?" Edmund wondered.

Lucy shook her head. This was far from what she wanted.

"What's going on? Stop this!" Lucy shouted as the photographer took another picture. She hid her face while shaking.

She peeked out from her hands to see the mirror on the Dawn Treader.

Aslan stood beside her and said in a disappointed tone, "Lucy."

"Aslan?" Lucy whispered, looking behind her. He wasn't there, but was in the mirror.

"What have you done, child?"

"I don't know. That was awful," Lucy admitted softly as she tried to hold in the tears.

"But you chose it, Lucy."

"I didn't mean to choose all of that. I just wanted to be beautiful like Susan or Isabel. That's all."

Aslan's expression softened. "You wished yourself away with it much more. Your brothers and sister wouldn't know Narnia without you and Isabel, Lucy. You two discovered it first. Remember?"

Lucy looked down guiltily, still trying to hold in the tears. She hated what she had done. "I'm so sorry," she whispered.

"You doubt your value. Don't run from who you are."

Thunder crashed and Lucy sat up. "Aslan!"

Gael stirred beside her and Isabel shifted slightly, still asleep. Lucy picked up the spell and scrunched it into a ball and threw it into a fire. Aslan's head appeared, meaning her temptation was defeated.

Isabel's eyes fluttered open, hearing the roar and she yawned. "Lucy?"

"It's all right," Lucy said.

"Are you all right, Lu?"

"I am now. I made a mistake by wanting to be beautiful like you or Susan."

"Oh, Lucy. You're beautiful both inside and out. Your inner beauty is incomparable and your spirit gentle. It is of great worth in the sight of the one who never ceases to love us."

Lucy hugged her sister who hugged her back. "Thank you."

"Never forget who you are, Lu."

BOYS' QUARTERS

Caspian had a dream about his father.

Edmund heard the Witch calling for him and he jolted up, drawing his sword.

Lucy and Isabel met up with Edmund and he pointed his sword at them. "Oh, Lucy, Isabel."

Lucy glanced to Isabel and said, "We couldn't sleep."

Edmund's gaze shifted between them before he said, "Let me guess. Bad dreams?" After a confirmation nod from Isabel and Lucy, he continued. "So either we're all going mad, or something is playing with our minds." He laid back in his hammock.

Isabel moved to her husband's side and he pulled her close. She placed her hands to his cheeks and asked, "Are you all right, darling?"

Caspian nodded. "I am. Are you?"

"Yes, I'm all right."