04. A Horrific Discovery

Caspian, Edmund, Isabel and Drinian were on deck, looking at the island. Not a Narnian flag was in sight.

Edmund ordered a landing party, but was told it was Caspian and Isabel's ship.

Caspian gave an order to row longboats to shore.

Lucy got ready in her room.

Her attention was turned to knocking and opened the doors to reveal Caspian. He grabbed a purple vest while Lucy put her red one on. The Valiant Queen wrapped a leather belt around her waist and put her cordial and dagger in their respective slots.

Caspian glanced at her and asked, "Are you ready?"

Lucy nodded and Edmund and Isabel walked through the doors and said, "We're ready."

The two of them followed Edmund and Isabel up to the main deck. Caspian, Edmund, Lucy, Eustace, some crew and Isabel rode ashore in longboats. Reepicheep's excitement was more than obvious. "Onward! The thrill of the unknown lies ahead."

Caspian, Edmund and Reepicheep climbed ashore. Two crew members held their hands to Isabel and Lucy to help them out. Eustace remained in the boat, crossing his arms. "Could this have waited till the morning?"

"There is no honour in turning away from adventure, lad," Reepicheep told him.

"Listen," Lucy said, glancing towards the town. "Where is everyone?"

Isabel frowned, looking about the town. "Perhaps they're in hiding?"

"Maybe," Lucy answered, as they followed Caspian. Reepicheep tried to help Eustace out of the boat, but he rejected.

"I'm capable of doing it myself. Oof!" Everyone turned to see Eustace fall on his face.

Caspian glanced at Eustace and said to Edmund, "And you're certain he's related by blood?"

Edmund smirked before walking off. Caspian readied his crossbow as we cautiously looked around. Something felt off and Isabel couldn't quite place it, which worried her. She jumped, hearing the town bells echo through the island. A flock of birds flew off in the sky.

Caspian glanced at the mouse. "Reepicheep, stay here with Drinian's men and secure the place. We'll head on. If we don't come back by dawn, send a party."

"Yes, Your Majesty," Reepicheep answered, walking back towards Drinian.

The four royals and the irritating cousin walked into town to find deserted buildings. The town was incredibly decrepit. There was rubble coming up in the streets, broken shutters, and not a person in sight. Eustace peeked into a house, saw people, turned back and said moments later, "Yeah, looks like nobody is in. Do you think we should head back?"

Caspian, Edmund, Lucy and Isabel were standing outside what looked to be the main building. Edmund turned to his cousin and asked, "Do you want to come here and guard... something?"

Eustace nodded and his voice took on a bright tone. "Ah, yes. Good idea, cousin. Very uh... logical."

Edmund smirked and when he looked back at Eustace, he saw a hopeless look on his face. He tried his best to mask it with reassurance. "I've got it. I've got it. Don't worry."

The four of them exchanged a glance knowing that Eustace certainly did not have it before they stepped into the building.

Isabel winced as the door creaked and they entered, weapons drawn. Isabel looked at the ropes and cages hanging from the ceiling and noticed the others doing the same. Caspian's foot stepped on something that jingled softly. He looked down to see a silver charm bracelet and bent to pick it up.