12. The Lion, the Serpent, and the Unlikely Hero

Eustace flew overhead to scout out for the crew.

"There it is, my friend," Reepicheep said. "Our battle awaits." The dragon started flying the opposite direction. "Eustace, no! Halt! Eustace, stop! Stop!" He fell and managed to hang on and climbed onto Eustace's snout. "I will not accept surrender. A noble warrior does not run from fear. Look at me! Look at me when I'm talking to you!"

Eustace looked up at Reepicheep who stood and continued. "I am a mouse. You, you're a dragon. You've got skin like chain mail, you breathe fire." He climbed back onto Eustace's head and drew his sword. "Come on, let's meet our destiny." Eustace turned and flew towards the island.

Caspian stared at the crew from the second deck. "No matter what happens here, every soul who stands before me has earned their place in the crew of the Dawn Treader. Together we have travelled far, together we have faced adversity, and together, we can do it again. So now is not the time to fall to fierce temptations. Be strong, never give in. Our world, our Narnian lives depend on it. Think of the lost souls we're here to save. Think of Aslan. Think of Narnia." He walked down the steps.

"For Narnia!" a crew member shouted.

"For Narnia!" everyone echoed.

Caspian looked shocked that everyone was cheering and supporting him. Lucy and Isabel joined in the cheer while Edmund smiled at Caspian.

The Dawn Treader sailed through the centre of Dark Island. They saw nothing but black clouds and green mist.

A man began yelling and Edmund grabbed his torch.

"Keep away! Keep away!" the man yelled.

"Who's there?!" Edmund cried back.

"We do not fear you!" Isabel added.

"Nor I you!" the man answered.

Edmund shifted the light slightly to a large rock to reveal an old man. He had a dirty overgrown beard and flinched at the light. "Keep away!"

"We will not leave," Caspian returned.

"You will not defeat me!" the man cried, raising his sword.

"Caspian!" Isabel called. "His sword!"

Caspian ran down the stairs. "Lord Rhoop!"

"You do not own me!" Lord Rhoop yelled.

"Stand down!" Caspian ordered his crew. "Let's get him onboard, quickly."

The crew grabbed rope and Eustace swept down and grabbed the lord and dropped him on the deck. Lord Rhoop swished his sword at anyone who tried to come close. "Off me demons!"

Isabel slowly walked over to the lord. "Sire, we do not wish to harm you. We're here to help."

He calmed a moment before hitting Clara with the sword, slicing the skin. "You're not here to help!"

Caspian pulled his wife back as he said, "No, my lord, we are not here to hurt you. I am your king, Caspian. The one you injured is Isabel, your queen."

Lord Rhoop slowly reached a hand to Caspian's face. "My lord. You should not have come." He stood. "There's no way out of here. Quickly! Turn this ship about before it's too late!"

"We've got the sword. Let's go," Edmund said. "Isabel, are you all right?"

She nodded. "Yes, I'll be all right. The blade barely grazed me."

"Let's turn her about, Drinian," Caspian ordered.

Isabel frowned. "I don't mean to cause a sense of dismay, but this all feels too easy."