Expectations

Laying on the sand, feeling the water wash up against my body. My eyes spinning with the night sky, as stars merged together creating some sort of illusion. My body becoming numb, my fingers pushing against the sand. My hair floating around as my eyes zone out, I was high. 

This is how I got away from everything, getting high, being alone. I hated the expectations I had to live up to, being the perfect daughter when I clearly wasn't.

"This is the best feeling in the world!" I screamed raising my hands, then bringing them back down splashing against the water. 

I giggled, my smile feeling like it's taking over my face, my eyes completely dry and burning. All my worries, gone. All my duties, gone. All negativity, gone. I felt free, I felt alive. A big rush of energy came over my body, I hopped up and ran towards the ocean. I jumped, I dived, I swam, I laughed. This truly was the best feeling. 

As I kept to myself, looking at the moving stars above. I heard a name be called, I turned to the shore to see jungle boy. Was this my lucky day, was someone finally going to get high with me? I jumped with glee as I reached the shore, jumping into his arms. 

Caught by surprise, Neteyam says "I've never seen you so happy." 

I turned to him with a big smile on my face, "Someone finally wants to get high with me." I jumped around the beach, running in circles. 

"Your high?" Neteyam asks chasing after me."I need to tell your father." 

"My father? idc." I said grabbing his arms swing them side to side. 

"Nah, I need to get your father." He said pushing my hands away.

"Don't you want to stay, I'm having the time of my life!" I said jumping up and down, spinning my hair around. 

Neteyam slowly stepped back, returning to the village. I cried, my happiness went away, did I just embarrass myself? Did I just ruin my chance with him? Did I just have the best time of my life? I said to myself, feeling the energy came back up as I danced on the beach. 

As I laid on the rock, my body started to slow down. I took deep breathes in and out, trying to calm my self down. I'm used to this type of feeling, I've been doing it ever since I was 13. Even at a young age I had lots of pressure on me but I wanted to express myself so I asked a friend for some 🍃, and I've done it ever since. 

I stared at the stars which slowly went back to normal, I heard loud footsteps coming towards me. I got up and saw my father with anger on his face. 

"What's wrong?" I asked my father. 

"Come." My father said tightly wrapping his hand around my arm. 

We soon arrived to the village, I refused to go as I told them I wanted to be alone. But my parents raged at the thought of that. I quickly slipped out of my fathers hands and turning around. My father then put his hand on my shoulder, quickly turning me around. He let out a big yell, making the whole village wake up. As the villagers wondered what all this commotion was, they found me and my father fighting. 

"Stop." I yelled as he tried dragging me into the hut by my arm. 

I slapped his arm down, sending a gasp through everyones mouths. The Sully family soon arrived, wondering what the noise was. My father walked up to me, catching everyones attention. 

"YOU ARE A DISAPPOINTMENT, YOU ARE NOT WORTHY TO BE MY DAUGHTER!" He yelled as my heart broke into a million pieces. "LEAVE, GO BACK TO THE BEACH. SO YOU CAN BE ALONE AND HIGH!" He said, making my body freeze, how'd he know? The only person that would know about it, would be...? Making myself think, I blanked out, forgetting what was going on. 

I felt a push, waking myself up to reality. My father had pushed me infront of everyone, he pointed to the ocean, telling me one more time. "GO!" 

As I felt the embarrassment fall upon me, I saw all eyes on me. I could feel my eyes watering up, I ran back to the spot I loved to be. Not knowing how this could happen, 

"How did he know? I've told no on-, Neteyam." I realised. 

He was the only person that knew what I was doing, and he would've been the only one to tell my parents about it. As I sat in shock, the person who I thought would never tell anyone, turns out was the person to tell. I looked out to the water, seeing the moon reflect on it, I saw a shadow in the water... Neteyam. 

I turned to look at him but couldn't, "I'm sorry." He said sitting on the sand with me. 

"Why'd you tell?" I asked tears starting to crowd my eyes.

"It was for your own good." He replied putting his hand on my back.

I pushed his hand away, "Do you know the reason why I do it?" I asked getting only silence in response. "It's how I get away from everything, but you wouldn't understand." 

"What wouldn't I understand?" He questioned. 

"Everything!" I said standing up in frustration, "My parents expect too much from me, they rely on me, I can never catch a break. But when I'm able to be myself, away from my problems, I get high which helps me. Now my parents will never let me be alone, never let be myself."

"And you don't think I go through that?!" He said standing up as well.

"No! You're the perfect golden boy every father could dream of, including mine." I raged pushing my finger against his chest. "You don't have a whole village relaying on you, you don't have your parents nagging at you, you don't have unrealistic expectations to live up to!" I yelled. 

"How would you know, you've never asked." Neteyam said walking away with his head down.

I let him go, watching his figure become smaller and smaller. I turned back to the ocean and sat down on a rock. Surely this wasn't my fault, I mean my parents put so much pressure on me, it's unfair. But what he said made me think...

Word Count: 1121 words

(a/n: I actually am loving this book, its so fun to write. btw I've never gotten high before obvi cause I'm 14 but I probs didn't describe correct but I don't know what its like so...

Make sure to keep voting and commenting. thank you 🫶🙏)