Adventure away from land

The morning came, the sun shined but I had something on my mind. As I laid in bed with my leg hanging out of it, my hair in a big mess and my eyes facing up to the roof. I was thinking of how to apologise to Neteyam. I had been treating him so badly and he was only trying to help me. I thought of an idea, I got up off my bed, running to my brother. I told him what to do and the plan was set.

It soon turned night, the sun had died down and the moon was lit, my brother then started the plan. He found Neteyam sitting on a rock near the water, looking sad and lonely.

"Hey bro, wanna came night hunting with me?" Aonung said putting his hand on Neteyam's shoulder. 

"Are we aloud too?" Neteyam asked.

"Yes." Aonung responded reaching his hand out for Neteyam to use to get up. 

Neteyam shrugged his shoulders and grabbed Aonung's hands. As I watched from the bushes, I saw the two call for their ilu's. I soon followed, calling Maia and chasing after them. Once the boys got to the spot I planned for them to stop at, my brother told Neteyam to do something. When Neteyam looked away, Aonung raced back to the village, leaving Neteyam stranded in the middle of the sea, at night, past the reef. 

When Neteyam realised Aonung left without him, he panicked. Not knowing what to do, Neteyam sat their on his ilu, not moving an inch. I soon reached the destination, seeing Neteyam confused and scared hurt me but it would be worth it. As I approached Neteyam, I dived under water telling Maia to leave. I swam to the surface, breaking the water with my head. 

"Lani!?" Neteyam said in shock, he reached his hand out, lifting me onto his ilu. "What are you doing here?" 

"I planned for this to happen." I responded. 

"Seriously?" Neteyam replied annoyed. 

"I just wanted to apologise." I said.

"You could have apologised at the village." He scoffed.

"Sorry, I just wanted to do something special." I replied. 

"Being stuck out here, in the dark, past the reef, with no one except us, is special?" He said gripping the handle with anger. 

I stayed silent for a little bit, his face grew with annoyance. "Just wait." I said comforting Neteyam. 

I made humming noise, sending the water to shake. Soon a tulkun responded, sending back a call. The tulkun then broke the surface of the water, I swam towards him and patted him on the side.

"This is Payakan, an outcast, who's misunderstood but I understand him." I said jumping onto his fin, reaching a hand out to Neteyam, he hopped on. "Hold on."

We both grabbed onto the fin tight, as Payakan dived underwater, we both admired the beauty of Eywa. The bright and colourful reefs, the animals exploring new places, the calm and clear water. I turn towards Neteyam, his eyes lit up and his expression showing amazement. I smile at the thought of him. We soon arrived to the spot I planned Payakan to take us, it was an underwater tree, like a weeping willow but underwater. It's leaves lit up, the branches swayed with the current. As I signalled for Payakan to leave us alone, both me and Neteyam swam under the tree.

"I like to spend my time here, no one knows only the people I trust" I said as I turned towards Neteyam who was already looking at me. "I'm sorry for being hard on you, I know you were trying to look out for me." I say as my eyes soften. 

He stares back, silent for a little bit. "It's ok, but I want you to know I did it because I care for you." 

My heart melted, my cheeks turned red and a smile grew on my face. No one really shared their feelings to me like this, nor did they say they cared for me. As we both stood silent but talking with our eyes, Neteyam pulls me in by the arm, as our faces meet, we both stared into each others eyes. I could feel the tension, he lifted his hand, and slowly cupped my face with his hands. He slowly pulled his face towards me as I did the same. Our lips touched, we held it for a second but then pulled away. 

Was the demon boy I used to hate, the one I now trust, the one I now care for, the one I now love?

"I love you Lani, I really do." Neteyam said still cupping my face with one hand. 

As I stared into his eyes, I felt many emotions. But I knew how I felt, I had to tell him. "I love you too, Neteyam." I replied with a great smile on my face.

We both spend sometime at the tree, playing with each other and talking for a bit. I called Payakan to take us back home. We got back to the village but Neteyam suggested we slept on the beach, and of course I agreed. 

As we both laid in the sand watching the stars from above, it was all peace, that's all I felt. I soon ended falling asleep, Neteyam wrapped his hand around my shoulder, hugging me from behind. 

Word count: 979 Words.

(a/n: hi guys so I was about to stop writing but you guys said to keep going, I got a bit bored but im going to keep going because I have an idea for the next chapter. I won't be as active rn because I'm trying to spend time with my family. And I will be going away on the 5th for summer holidays so I won't be writing then. Tell me what you think of this chapter and any ideas for future ones. 

btw I kinda cringed in this chapter and had some laughs. sorry if it's cringey.

thanks for reading and make sure to vote. ❤️🙏🫶