Chapter 15

***Hey there! Happy New Year :)

We were *supposed* to be halfway through this book at this point, but I have way too many ships and plot things that need to happen for THAT to be true. We're aiming for 36 chapters now...hopefully...

*book outline erupts into flames*

ANYWHOOOOO, I hope you all had a great Christmas and can look forward to what a new year is bringing. But for now...look forward to what this chapter brings ;)***

***(Seliel's POV)***

"So you've decided to audition for Beauty and the Beast?" Harumi asks, falling into step beside me in the hallway.

I nod. I've been mulling over auditioning for Beauty and the Beast for a week now, and last night, I decided I was going to go for it. After all, my social life pretty much consists of bickering with Skylor these days, so I might as well have something I can throw all my frustrations into. And I already had a monologue and song prepared for today's audition just in case I decided to participate, so the only thing I had to do was sign up for an audition slot and drop off my permission slip this morning.

"Great!" Harumi smiles. "I'm auditioning as well. I'm hoping I can be part of the ensemble." She grabs my arm, stopping me in my tracks. "Hey, if we both get in, maybe we can practice together!"

I nod, trying to determine how fake her attitude is. Sometimes, it's obvious that Harumi just wants attention, but other times, it seems she's actually excited about spending time around me and the other girls.

This time, I think she's being genuine.

"That'd be nice," I reply. I may not necessarily like Harumi – that girl is not on the up-and-up – but it's not like I want to be rude. And if she ever stops putting on a façade all the time, maybe I'd even like her as a person.

I start walking toward the auditorium where the auditions are being held this afternoon. "So...how was your time with Skylor at the diner last night?" I ask.

I left the diner as soon as Skylor decided to jump off the deep end into crazy and suggest we date Ridgewood boys to save the Miss Graceton pageant. That's just messed up. And since PIXAL left with me, I can't pick her brain about what happened the rest of the evening.

"Oh – uh, it was fun," Harumi says quickly. "We just talked a bit more about what a bummer losing the pageant was. This is obviously my first year at Graceton, but from what I've heard, the pageant sounds fun." Her voice bubbles out of her in a way that seems more nervous than upset.

"It's a tradition," I inform her. "Not one that I particularly like, either. The pageant's been a popularity contest for years, and I've always thought that we should replace it with something more forward-thinking. There's a lot more to the Graceton student body than looks and personality."

Harumi shrugs. "That's a good point. Skylor seems pretty attached to the pageant, though."

"It's been her dream to be Miss Graceton pageant queen since we attended Graceton's middle school campus in the sixth grade." I furrow an eyebrow, ready to get down to the real reason I'm bringing up last night with Harumi. "So...did Skylor continue to push her plan with dating Ridgewood guys after I left last night?"

"Yeah, I guess," Harumi casually replies.

I slowly nod. "Did she try to get you to participate in that plan?"

She chuckles airily. "I mean, yeah. She really wants that pageant crown." She shoots me a smile. "But I can assure you, Seliel, that if I decide to go out with a guy from Ridgewood, it will be because I actually like him." Her response is cheerful, but the words seem almost automatic, as though she's rehearsed it in her head several times.