Chapter 21

***A/N: Welcome to the longest chapter I've ever written. It's 8200 words-

I feel like we're just now getting to the point in this book where the characters have developed enough to really have relationships with one another and chemistry, which means that writing the rest of this is going to be so fun! And I hope reading it is too lol

Also, since I'm camp counseling this summer, updates are going to be a bit sporadic. I will only ever update on Saturdays, and then only every 2-3 weeks until mid-July or August. So maybe expect two or three more chapters over the summer, and we'll see how things go after that. At this rate, maybe I'll finish this book in the next year lol.***

***(Kai's POV)***

"Hi, Mr. Brookstone," I greet, slipping off my shoes at Cole's front door. It's been a while since I've seen Cole's dad Lou, and it's good to finally visit their house again. It's good to be hanging out with my friends at all again.

"Kai," he smiles. "Good to see you, son. How's school been going?"

I make my way into the combined entryway and kitchen and smell the delicious aroma of cookies in the oven. After Cole's mom died when he was ten, his dad became an all-in-one chef, musician, sports practice chauffeur, disciplinarian, and host for all Cole's friends. He's become proficient with at least the cooking part.

Nah, his music's fine too, I guess. If you're into jazz with vocals.

"School's fine," I shrug. "Combining Ridgewood and Graceton threw us all for a loop, but it's good to be back."

Cole picks that moment to walk into the kitchen. "Hey, Kai," he welcomes me in his usual congenial way. "How's it going?"

He pulls me in for a side hug, and come to think of it, he's probably the only friend I have who ever does that. I guess Jay tries to poke us in the belly button when we're not paying attention, but that's not what I would particularly call "physical affection".

No wonder we're all so touch-starved.

I shrug. "Same old, I guess." It's weird when you haven't been around your friends for weeks, and then you try to talk to them like nothing has changed in your relationship with them.

"Same here." He grabs a water from the fridge. "You've been killing it at football practice lately, by the way."

I suppose he means the football practices I don't miss due to detentions. I've managed to come late to most of them, but sometimes Skylor Chen just takes it out of me. I need to quit getting stuck with her or rearrange my detention time or something before Coach makes me sit out the whole season.

"That reminds me," Lou pipes up. "Cole, don't forget that tomorrow, you'll be spending an hour after school helping out with callback auditions for the Graceton musical." He hums a few bars to himself in his practiced tenor.

"Good thing football isn't until four tomorrow," Cole sighs, taking a swig of his water. However, he doesn't look too annoyed over having to help out with the musical.

Which is weird. I expected him to be a lot more upset.

Although Lou wants Cole to carry on the family legacy in music and dancing, Cole really just wants to play football. And he's good – like, good enough that he can definitely go pro if he wants to. A life of tapdancing doesn't really coincide with that dream.

I don't think he's mentioned his plans for football to his dad yet, though.

I clear my throat. "Are any of the other guys able to come today, Cole?"