Chapter 14

***(Harumi's POV)***

"What do you mean, they're combining Ridgewood's homecoming events with Graceton's?" Seliel asks Skylor, clearly confused.

"Yeah," Nya frowns, crinkling her nose. "And what's this about Survivor?"

I swirl a fry in ketchup and watch as Skylor buries her face in her hands. She called me, Seliel, and PIXAL up to join her in surprising Nya at work tonight, but she had far more than a friendly visit planned. It looks like she's about to have an anxious breakdown.

"Read Principal Misako's email message," she sighs, resting her head on her elbow. "Instead of hosting a Miss Graceton pageant, contestants will compete for the crown by participating in Ridgewood's Survivor competition."

"That doesn't make any sense," Nya mutters. "Did she say why she and Wu were combining the events?" The bell at the front door rings, and she waves to an older couple walking inside.

"She said that she didn't think it would help Graceton-Ridgewood tensions to host the traditional pageant while we're having classes in their school building," Skylor replies glumly. "She brought up how several guys from Ridgewood attempted to sabotage the pageant last year."

I can hear Seliel's eyeroll. "Putting us in some competition with them isn't going to ease any 'tensions'," she points out.

"I tried telling her that!" Skylor moans. "But she said that the girls could participate in their own challenges while the guys had theirs. She also said that we'll only be around each other during meal periods each day."

I wrinkle my forehead. "I don't get why we need to have the same competition as them if we're not even fully participating in it." I mean, don't get me wrong, being away from my parents for a week sounds fun, but this is just confusing.

Skylor sits up and runs a hand through her hair. "Part of it is that Principal Misako's putting all extra funding toward repairing Graceton right now. Apparently, it's in pretty bad shape." She narrows her eyes. "I tried to tell her that my dad could write a quick check and fix our problems with funding the pageant, but then she gave me this long speech on how it wouldn't be fair if I, who will likely be a contestant for pageant queen, helped privately fund the competition. She said that would probably win me extra votes and elevate my position against the other girls."

"So? Hold a community fundraiser," Seliel deadpans. "That's not biased toward any candidates."

"And how does filming a show cost any less than hosting a pageant?" Nya asks.

"The costs for living in a tent for a few nights are surprisingly low," Skylor sighs. "Plus, the filming is done by Ridgewood career students for free. They already have the equipment there, so it wouldn't be any extra cost to host us. And having us eat PB&J and burnt hot dogs for a few days is somehow cheaper than the catering we have done annually for the Miss Graceton pageant." Sarcasm drips from her tone.

"I – sorry, I'll be right back." Nya waves at us and speed walks toward the older couple who just arrived.

PIXAL clears her throat. "Skylor, I don't understand why we have to have so much funding behind the pageant, anyway. We could host a smaller version of the pageant, and the students at Graceton would enjoy it just as much. And if we altered a few aspects of the festivities, I'm sure Ridgewood students would be less opposed to it."

"I tried telling her that," Skylor sniffs. "I tried. But then she gave me this long speech about how we would never unify the students at our schools without uniting them in common causes and showing equal treatment or whatever." Her teary eyes look up at us in defeat.