chapter two

"Hinata, wait up," Tsukishima called, walking up to Hinata in the hallway a few days later. Hinata gave him a weird look.

"Hello..." he responded, confused. "Are you okay? You literally never talk to me during school. What's wrong?"

Tsukishima rolled his eyes. "Nothing's wrong. I'm fine. I just... Can we talk?"

Hinata's eyebrows furrowed. "We're talking right now."

Tsukishima's lips pressed into a thin line. "I meant more of a... private conversation."

Hinata grimaced. "Uh... Why...?"

"I have something important I want to talk to you about."

Hinata pointed to the bathroom. "Nobody goes in there."

Tsukishima sighed, grabbed Hinata's arm, and pulled him into the bathroom. "I have a question to ask you."

Hinata scoffed. "Sorry, but if you're gonna ask if we can date, I'm gonna have to say no. You're dating my best friend, for one, and I'm not gay, so... no." Tsukishima glared at him. "Fine. What?"

"Do you like anyone right now?"

Hinata scowled at him. "Why?"

"I'm just curious."

"Dude, you told me this was important. You couldn't have asked me at practice, or even just texted me? Why'd you have to ask me in person?"

Tsukishima furrowed his eyebrows. "You wouldn't be honest with me over text, and if I'm right, the person you like is part of our team."

Hinata's eyes widened. "How... how did you know?!"

"Well, you've been acting weird since Yachi told us who she liked, and I can only assume it's jealousy that's making you feel this way."

Hinata frowned. "I don't wanna talk about this."

"If you have feelings for Yachi, tell her."

Hinata's eyebrows raised. "Right, Yachi..."

"Kageyama doesn't know she likes him. Shoot your shot now, while he's still in the dark, and maybe she'll give you a chance."

Hinata chewed on his lower lip. "Um, I..." he hesitated. "I don't know..."

"Tell Tadashi how you're feeling. He'll stop trying to get the two of them together if he knows his best friend has a crush on one of them."

"I don't know... if I tell, uh, Yachi, and she doesn't feel the same, our team won't be the same. I think I'm just gonna sit back and let myself admire her from afar. I've been doing that for the past year, anyways. I'm not gonna suddenly step up just because I know she likes someone now, you know?"

Tsukishima's eyebrows raised. "Uh, right. I just wanted to check to see if you were okay. You can talk to me if you need, Hinata. I'm here for you."

"I'm good. Thanks, though."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. Positive." He shook his head. "But jeez. She likes Kageyama?" He chuckled. "I guess I'll just cheer them on." He scuffed his feet on the ground with a discouraged expression on his face.

"Hm."

"What?"

"Nothing. I just feel bad for you."

Hinata's mouth curled into a smile. "Thanks, but you don't need to. I know—" Hinata stopped himself. "Um, never mind. Just know that I'm fine. Okay?"

Tsukishima furrowed his eyebrows. "What?"