chapter nine

Kageyama typed out Hinata's number and called him. Hinata answered on the first ring. "Hello? Tobio? Are you okay?"

"Hey, Shoyo. Could you ask your mom to come and pick me up?"

"Practice doesn't end for another hour, though. She was gonna leave in, like, forty-five minutes or so."

"I know. Could you just... I'm really worried about you. I want to talk to you, Shoyo, but you're not talking to me."

"There's nothing to talk about. I'm fine."

"You're not fine."

"Wow, thanks."

"Please, Shoyo... At least let me be worried about you."

"Friends don't worry about each other. We're friends." Hinata's voice quivered.

"...Shoyo, I'm allowed to worry about you if I want to worry about you. Everyone's worried. You didn't show up to practice with no notice beforehand, and apparently, you haven't been in contact with anyone other than me."

"Did you tell them you talked to me?"

"...No, Shoyo, I didn't. Can you just..."

"Fine." Hinata left his phone on his bed and went to talk to his mom. He came back a minute later. "She's on her way. She'll be there in, like, twelve minutes or so."

"Shoyo..."

"What?"

"Are you okay?"

"I told you already, Tobio, I'm okay. I just had a bad day. I'm okay now."

"Tell me about it. Your bad day."

"N-no!"

"Yes."

"I don't want to talk about it over the phone."

"Why?"

"I don't feel like it."

"Shoyo."

"Fine. It's an awkward conversation to have and I'd rather just have it in person."

"Um... okay. Can you tell me when I get back?"

"I don't know. Maybe."

"And is it okay if Yachi comes, too?"

"Yachi?"

"Um, yeah."

"I mean, I guess so. Why, though? Doesn't she live the complete opposite way of where my house is?"

"She wants to talk to you about something important."

"Can't she just call me?"

Kageyama held back a smirk. "She said it's an awkward conversation to have over the phone."

"...Tobio, I hate you."

Kageyama laughed. "She said her dad can come and pick her up after..." Kageyama trailed off and watched Yachi do a cartwheel. He gave her a confused look.

"Tobio?"

"Oh, uh, yeah?"

"You stopped talking."

"Um, sorry. Yachi did a cartwheel."

"What?"

"I don't know what she's doing."

"Is she listening to our conversation?"

"Obviously not, Shoyo, if she's doing cartwheels."

"Hey, are you talking about me?" Yachi called from a distance away, sitting in the grass.