chapter five

Hinata lingered for a few seconds before guilt got the best of him. He pushed himself away from Kageyama lightly. "What... Why did you... what the hell just happened?" He lightly touched his hand to his lips, then looked up at Kageyama. "I-I um, I don't get it. I'm confused."

Kageyama stared back at him with an embarrassed expression on his face. "Um... were you..." He trailed off, his face flushing. He averted his eyes.

"Was I talking about my feelings for Yachi?" Kageyama nodded. Hinata's face turned red, and he turned on his heel, heading towards his house quickly. "I..." He hesitated. He opened the door robotically. "Come in, please."

"Shoyo, can we please talk about this?"

"Come inside!" Hinata kicked his shoes off. "Mom, I'm home!"

Natsu, Hinata's little sister, barreled around the corner and crashed into her brother, hugging him tightly around the waist. "Shoyo!" She giggled.

"Natsu!" Hinata cheered with the same enthusiasm. "Um, Tobio, you can come in," he muttered awkwardly. Kageyama stepped into the house and politely took his shoes off at the entrance.

Natsu stared up at him. "Woah. You're really tall."

Kageyama grinned at her. "And you look just like your brother. Natsu, right?"

She gasped, whipping her head around to look back at Hinata. "Sho! He knows my name!"

"Why wouldn't he? You don't think I tell my friends about my sister?" Hinata chuckled. "Anyways, where's mom?"

"Mommy's on the phone!"

"Is it a work call?"

Natsu giggled. "No... It's her girlfriend!"

"Yeah? How's she doing?"

"I don't know!" Natsu turned around to look at Kageyama again. She looked at his face, and then his feet, and then his face again, and her eyebrows furrowed. "Are you 'Kageyama?'"

"I am..." Kageyama said skeptically. He raised an eyebrow. "You can call me Tobio, though."

"Okay!"

"I didn't think you knew me," he laughed.

"Why wouldn't I?! You're the guy Sho's got a crush on!" Hinata froze in place, eyes wide. 

Ms. Hinata shuffled into the room, humming. "Oh, Shoyo! You're home! I'm sorry, I've been on the phone with..." She stopped mid-sentence when she noticed the panicked expression on her son's face. "...What?"

"Um, Tobio, you can follow me..." he said awkwardly, brushing past his confused mother and walking down the hallway. Kageyama bowed awkwardly to her, then followed Hinata. 

"Shoyo," he said. He paused, furrowed his eyebrows, and looked around the room. "Wow. It's not what I was expecting."

"What were you expecting?" Hinata dropped his volleyball bag in the corner of his room.

"I don't know... something messier?"

Hinata scoffed. "What, you think I can't clean up after myself?" He looked at Kageyama, smirking.

"Oh, shut up." Kageyama's eyes softened, and he lowered his voice. "Shoyo."

"Yes...?"

"Can we... Can we talk? Please?"

"Talk? Talk about what? I don't know what you're talking about." He walked over to his bed and sat down.

"Shoyo. Come on. At least tell me what the hell you were talking about outside."