Ch. 2 Emergency flight

POV: Saige Alissio

I stayed awake that entire night, freezing. I tried stoking the fire but it did nothing due to the poor insulation of the wooden hut. It had been abandoned for years before I came along, holes and gaps in between the wooden frame. It let out the heat, and I hadn't gotten to the whole repair thing. I tried using sticks but- yikes.

I wonder if König noticed- eh it doesn't matter.

I sat up off the ground lazily, groaning as the dull ache started up in my right shoulder once again, reminding me of last night's events.

The image of König holding my arm in his large calloused and scarred hands hummed in my memory. I gently grazed my fingers over where he had his hand on my neck, the ghost of his warmth reminding me of him.

Thinking back to the moment when we were in close proximity, I remember the thick scent of pine and campfire wood radiating off of him. His scent was amazing...

Bad Saige. He's a stranger, and a LARGE one at that. Trust could easily get you killed in this situation, that's the reason you refused sleep last night.. nothing new on that front though; a sleepless night is normal for me.. but hell- he popped my arm out of socket like pulling a spoon out of melted butter. And the way he's built... he looks like he could snap me in half without even breaking a sweat. And his mask.. it's oddly attractive.

Attractive? I mean- I'm not wrong but still. Keep your head in the game. I bearly even know this guy.

I pinched the bridge of my nose as I pulled myself from my thoughts, feeling a pair of eyes on me I glanced over. König was eyeing me curiously from the other side of the room. He was fully dressed now, his clothes dry but slightly wrinkled from air drying in an odd manner.

I was so deep in thought I never even heard him get up.

I rose to my feet, turning my attention to my jacket. I had given it to him last night to use as a pillow, it was now neatly hanging next to the fire. He must've done that once he got up.

I checked over the jacket absentmindedly as I went to put it on. It had a hole in the sleeve where my thumb goes. My thumb got snagged constantly and it drove me insane.

I glared at the sleeve as I slipped the jacket on over my clothes, my right shoulder aching from the movement but it was nothing compared to yesterday's pain before the reset thanks to König. Speaking of König.

I looked over at him once again, his eyes already on mine as we held contact. His eyes gave me a questioning look, tilting his head ever so slightly to emphasize the question.

I decided to leave him confused, instead changing the 'subject'. "Are you ready?" König nodded in response.

"I've already packed up and everything." He hummed proudly and I nodded to myself, going over and grabbing my own bag. I threw it over my right shoulder and my brows knit together at the dull pain from the contact of the strap.

This is going to be a long fucking walk.

We got ready to go and before we walked out the door I grabbed an air tight bag of something from the old cabinet on the wall. Taking the package I quickly flipped out my knife and slashed open the bag at the top. The sweet smell of deer jerkie filled the air as I took out a few strips for myself and offered some to König.