6. Scorpion Stings

Summary: The Scorpios Rex disturbs the island.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The food haul had been a success, though Darius had been chased by a Tarbosaurus for most of the day and the night, and Serenity had found it incredibly amusing watching them from the trees. Luckily, the Tarbosaurus had sauntered off after being confronted with Chaos and Limbo. Serenity had told them to scare it off. It could linger and wait for the Campers to come back up from the bunker.

Hap watched from the branch beside her, fully out of breath and red in the face. He looked at her incredulously and raised a brow at her unbothered state.

"How are you not bothered?" he asked.

"What?" Serenity questioned, confused by his question.

"How are you not completely out of breath from climbing this tree?" he clarified.

"Practice," Serenity replied. "Am small, too."

Hap rolled his eyes and leaned against the trunk of the tree, watching the Tarbosaurus take off into the forest, back to its nest. Chaos and Limbo sniffed around for the kids and surprised them a little when they came back up, but were ready to help haul all of the food they had found. Serenity smiled. They had all become good friends in the short amount of time they'd spent here. Hap had counted the days, and about three months had passed since Mitch and Tiff had been killed. Serenity didn't mind, but she could see that the Campers were getting a little bit sad.

They all wanted to go home.

She still hadn't told them about the boat. She was too scared. She hadn't even told Hap about it. But it was fine, she'd tell them when she knew it was time for them to leave.

"We should talk about the meat situation," Hap said. "With them," he clarified, pointing at the kids as they walked away from the Hidden adventure.

Serenity nodded. They had to find a reliable food source, because berries and scraps in cans were not enough for all of them, certainly not now that Hap was here too. Food was running out, and even with this new haul, it wasn't going to last long. They needed something better, and meat was one of the best protein sources.

Serenity also knew that potatoes grew somewhere and fruit could be picked in the trees. She had no idea about vegetables, but she thought that Hap might have an idea about that. Serenity motioned for them to climb down the tree and Hap slowly went, careful where he placed his footing. Serenity hopped down the branches and landed on the ground easily, waiting for Hap to reach her. When he reached her, he was out of breath once more, but looked far happier on the ground than he had in the tree. Serenity led him to the others and they were greeted by an excited Bumpy and Serenity's sisters.

"We want to talk about something," Hap told the Campers. "You're not going to like it."

"What is it?" Darius asked curiously, hefting the box he held in his hands higher.

Serenity spotted some juice boxes and bags with... chips? She had no idea what those were but she'd love to try them sometimes. Everyone was holding a box with something, and Chaos held a closed box in her mouth with a rope around it. Limbo carried nothing, but she didn't seem to mind that.

"We want to get some more protein in our diet," Hap explained. "We can find fruit and vegetables easily, but we need something more."

"You're talking about eating a Dinosaur," Ben stated matter of factly.

Brooklynn pulled a face and Sammy looked pretty reluctant, but they all kept silent. Hap sighed.

"What do you propose?" Yaz asked curiously.