The Offer

The VanComeran orphanage was large and elegant with red oak and polished lawn furnishings. Nezuko stood at the gate looking before she pushed it opened. Of the entire village, this was the coldest. The trees were dying and the sky around it was red with blood-orange clouds and the grass was brown and crunchy under her feet. She held up the letter to the light, hoping that she'd somehow gotten the address wrong. Nope, right address. Her mind told her to go home. Who cares if her family lost all their money? They were never kind to her, so why be kind to them? But, her feet kept walking towards and she finally knocked on the door.

Please let no one be home. Please let no one be home...When no one answered, she let out a sigh. Feeling a mixture of failure and relief, she was already halfway to the gate when she heard a little girl's monotone voice call to her.

"Aren't you going to come in?" Nezuko spun around to see a girl a foot smaller and thinner than her standing behind her. How did she get there?

"Umm?"

"Master was expecting you. Please come in." She took Nezuko by the hand and she felt the coarse texture of her palm. Then she led her to the orphanage. They went inside and Nezuko felt like she was inside a creepy painting. Orphans scurried everywhere, once looking at her and giving her a smile that made you smile back and still have those scared chills down your spine.

"So, what brings you here?" She asked the girl.

"I am an orphan." She answered blankly. They came to a large door and she opened it before leading her in. "Master, she is here."

"Good...let her in..." A charming voice said. Nezuko looked around the large den with its huge library of books, array of animal furs and heads, and its mass collection of elaborate paintings. She felt small. She felt...a rage burn through her. They had enough money! They didn't need an extra 100,000 pounds! "I see you admire my family's collection. I am glad you are satisfied." Nezuko looked up to see a man about eighteen looking at her, emotionless. He came down the stairs and up to her, as if he were inspecting her. He cupped her chin in his hands and looked at her thin neck, then looked at a strand of her hair. "Perfect..." She heard him whisper.

"Sir?" Nezuko really hoped that he wasn't being lustful, like all the other lords and knights and men she had attracted. That was a dilemma, Nezuko had the uncanny ability to make any man she wanted fall in love with her.

"I have heard of you, Nezuko. You are the talk amongst men, a fair beauty who can woe even the most haughty, the most rich, the most evil of men. It is a curse to you, no?" Nezuko nodded. It was a curse; her sisters hated her for it. "I always assume that is because you are the kindest amongst your family, which adds greatly to your beauty." Nezuko, again, nodded. "And if I may make my third guess, you come to me to beg that I give back your ports so your family will not go bankrupt, even though they treat you as a servant."

"I do. Sir, please reconsider, I couldn't stand to see my frail sisters work so hard just because of my stepfather!"

"Well, who could say no to eyes like those?" He laughed. "But, 100,000 pounds is a lot of money." He walked away.

"Sir-"

"That doesn't mean I'm not agreeable. I wish to make a deal with you." He walked back to her. "Long ago, something of great importance was taken from my family. I need you to get it back." Nezuko stared.

"Sir, I-I've never stolen anything in my life."

"I don't need you to steal. I need you to remove. Here's what I want you to do." He leaned over and whispered it in her ear as Nezuko's face grew pale.

"NO! I won't! That's so-so-so...I can't!"

"Then, your family will go bankrupt." Nezuko stopped her from leaving. What she did for her family. She slowly turned around and walked back to him. Then, her now pale crystal pink eyes looked to him.

"How will you get me in?"