《Chapter 6》

Wang Yibo's POV

The world was quiet as I slipped out of bed, leaving the warmth.

A shiver ran down my spine as I tried to brush off the cold unsettling feeling in my stomach.

I walked towards the sliding doors, peeking through the window to look into the empty dark hallway before turning around to eye Sean, who was sleeping soundlessly.

I could only hope for him not to wake up before I returned as I opened the sliding doors calmly, slipping out.

The paper got tightly placed inside my shirt in case I could stumble upon someone who was a bit too noisy because I didn't know these people too well, so I had to be very careful.

Walking through the silent hallway made my stomach churn; I wasn't used to this odd sensation of so-called safety.

I continued to walk and only stopped when I was standing in front of the door I was searching for, I was about to knock but quickly changed my mind as I got the paper from under my shirt. Sliding the letter under the door, I checked if anyone had been watching me; nobody.

Standing up again, I tried to shake off the nerves, but something bugged me, so I continued to walk down the hallway, and I had barely turned the corner, and I immediately got confronted by a woman's voice.

"Can't sleep either?" I plastered a quick smile as I turned to Lily, giving a light nod, hoping she hadn't seen or heard anything.

"Mind accompanying me to get some fresh air?" I shook my head as I tried to read Lily's face in the utmost darkness, but she had already turned away before I could.

So I trailed behind her like a lost puppy, damning my luck.

"I am taking the most patrols at night since I suffer from insomnia, and most of the time, the nights are quiet, so one person to patrol is often enough. And otherwise, a scream would be sufficient to wake the rest." I nodded.

I wish I could forget the chaos of the outbreak, the screams, cries and shadows of people on the streets during the first few weeks.

Some people were even desperate enough to die with their loved ones, and sometimes, I wish I held that same courage.

"It's a fight or flight response," I slipped quietly.

"And most people freeze in situations like that; they're often the first to get killed." Lily side-eyed me, her expression blank as she threw the door open with a big swing.

I got met with a cold gust of wind blowing into my face, the moon greeting me as I followed Lily into the garden; turning around, I saw that the door was left wide open, but Lily didn't seem to mind it.

A silence fell over us as we walked through the garden, stopping at a seemingly old swinging bench.

I decided to sit down as Lily made herself comfortable on the grass for some reason, so she looked up from the ground to me with a mysterious smile dancing on her face.

"How have you survived this long?" I couldn't help the laugh that escaped from my mouth because of Lily's bluntness. It had been a long time since I had been around living humans, especially the ones that were this open.

"Why do you ask?"

"Because everyone has bodies to hide in their closet, I just need to know how many you're hiding," Lily said, the teasing undertone of her voice suddenly gone, but the smile was still on her face.

I let the question hang in the air, swaying my legs a little before pulling them up to my knees, embracing myself while the swing moved lightly.

"If you ask me how many bodies I am hiding, I can guarantee you that I have killed more than you will ever be able to kill in your life." I watched the ground under my body move, my head moving with the rhythm as I opened my mouth, "scared?"