Chapter 1

A crash startled Hermione awake and within a few heartbeats she was on her feet. She shot a stunning spell in the general direction of the sound that woke her, just in case.

After a moment, she realized she was no better than a started animal. The poor bookshelf across from her now wore a gruesome burn mark; it slices clean through two rows. Her shoulders relaxed a bit. She was just a bit jumpy, that was all.

"Do you make a habit of obliterating all literature that displeases you, Granger?"

Hermione yelped in surprise and spun around to face the disinterested voice behind her. Wand still raised, she glared defiantly into those icy grey eyes.

"Do you make a habit of sneaking up on people when they are clearly trying to have a peaceful moment of study, Malfoy?"

A familiar smirk spread over his cold features, the kind of look that would have sent Ron swinging and Harry hexing. Unfortunately, neither of them was here. It would just be up to Hermione then, so she raised her chin and slowly looked him up and down. She wanted him to understand she was unimpressed.

"As far as I'm concerned, Granger," Malfoy drawled, "the Hogwarts library is open to all students. If you're incapable of enduring a slight disturbance without hexing the furniture, perhaps you should study elsewhere."

She scoffed. "Those were some sizable words, Malfoy. I'm impressed. I wasn't sure you had the vocabulary to converse with the civilized population."

"Oh, I do aim to surprise, Granger. Now, if you would be so kind, I really do need access to that shelf."

She stared at him blankly.

"That one." He motioned with his wand. "Behind you."

"Oh. Right. Well, I'll leave you to it." Hermione shuffled awkwardly to the side for him to slide past her, and she quickly packed up her books and parchment, ready to make a hasty escape. This was the longest conversation she'd ever had with Draco Malfoy and she had no intention of making it any longer. She started moving toward the front of the library.

"Granger."

"Yes?" She hesitated, wand in hand behind her back.

"I apologize for startling you. It was not my intention."

Hermione's mouth opened in surprise, brow furrowed, but before she could come up with a reply, he turned back toward the shelf. Bewildered, she turned on her heel and fled to the safety of the Gryffindor common room.

***

It was half past three in the morning, and after hours of tossing and turning, Hermione gave up on sleep. She silently grabbed Harry's invisibility cloak from her trunk and slipped into the corridors. When Hermione told Harry and Ron that she would be returning to Hogwarts to complete her final year, she received mixed reactions. Ron argued there was nothing more for her to learn, she was the brightest witch of the age and had probably read more books than were in the entire Hogwarts library. Ron wanted her to stay with them in the Burrow, saying they should enjoy the family they had left, not be eager to go off and leave again. When Hermione turned to Harry though, she saw understanding glistening in his eyes. He knew that they all needed to process the war differently, and while he and Ron needed family, Hermione needed normalcy. Normalcy like studying, quidditch, and meals in the Great Hall. All Harry asked was for her to write often and he'd handed her his invisibility cloak, saying he didn't need it at the moment.

Harry whispered, "Let her go, Ron," and Ron did. Ron didn't understand, but he had already been 'letting her go' in more ways than one recently, so what was one more? The feelings that blossomed during their years at Hogwarts had all but fizzled out during the war, and in its place was a more strained, but manageable, friendship. She had hugged them both, packed a trunk, and left the next week. Hermione didn't want to leave them, but she also couldn't stand to be with them. Everywhere she looked were reminders of all she'd lost, and it was just too much. School would be a fresh start.