Chapter 34

They fell into a rhythm. Wake up, change clothes, spread out around the flat. Meals were ordered via telephone, as neither felt any desire to leave. Occasionally they would read, rarely they would talk, and depending on their mood they would transfigure things at random. Some days felt light enough to play a game or two. Other days felt so dark it was a miracle if they said a word. They had five more Rage Room episodes, alternating between smashing the vase and shattering a set of ceramic plates Hermione had found in the kitchen. In those ten days, Hermione had four more nightmares that left her sobbing and Draco screamed himself hoarse on at least two occasions. It could have been worse.

This morning they were scheduled to arrive at the Tosteson Building. Hermione felt uncharacteristically ambivalent about the meeting as they apparated onto Harvard campus. It was a short thing, and her mind was mostly unfocused. Dr. Lyles was a quiet sort of man with a soft brown mustache and kind eyes. He briefly introduced them to the ten other PhD students who would be working in the lab, and Hermione nodded while never retaining a single name. Dr. Lyles gave a short tour of the laboratory and said that by the end of the week, they would each have assignments.

"We are so thankful for the work you've done. I think it was a missing piece in our research," the professor hummed. "And from now on, it won't just be the two of you. Now you have a team." He finished his statement with a smile so brilliant, Hermione almost felt sorry she couldn't return it. She settled for a small nod, which didn't escape the doctor's notice. His grin drooped, and he cut a quick glance at Draco, who hadn't said one word. With a sigh, Dr. Lyles shooed away the rest of the team and brought them into a snug little office, gesturing for them to take a seat.

"I am very grateful you agreed to come," he stated plainly. Draco didn't respond; he had a sour expression stuck on his face. Hermione picked at the hem of her shirt and muttered a low, "No problem, professor." Dr. Lyles laced his callused hands together and stared at them pensively. As if coming to a decision, he nodded once to himself and continued. "Poppy and I have become rather close during these months. She told me of your research this past year, including your brilliant wins as well as your tragic losses." Hermione's stomach felt like lead, afraid he wanted them to give details. Before she could truly begin to panic, he held up a hand. "I do not require you to speak on it. But I do require a few things. As part of this program, you must show up to run whatever tests or research you are assigned to do. We still have experiments to finish, and those cannot wait for you."

Draco scoffed beside her but said nothing. Dr. Lyles carried on. "That being said–I do not require you to speak. I do not require you to smile. I do not require you to create bonds with your lab mates. These are things I wish for you, but it doesn't bother me if you find them impossible at the moment. I simply ask that you do your part as we search for a cure, and that you use your time in Boston to find a cure for your own maladies. Is that alright?"

Hermione glanced at Draco, his arms crossed behind his head, eyes closed irreverently. She turned back to the professor. "Sure." The meeting was over then, and they quickly departed, apparating directly into their flat. Hermione hastily reactivated their wards, and Draco stalked into his bedroom, slamming the door. Fantastic. Now she had to deal with a moody dragon.

She gave him ten minutes. Ten minutes to brood and sulk, ten minutes to let her own irritation build. Then she stomped into the room, bursting through the door with a flick of her wand.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" She barked. He slowly turned from across the room to face her. His lips were drawn into a scowl, and he pinned her with his most venomous glare. She only rolled her eyes and sauntered closer. He didn't move. "You could've at least tried to pay attention today. Just minimal effort. But instead, I had to deal with everything, because you're having a little temper tantrum!"