Chapter 5

"Malfoy, a word?"

Hermione found him in the library; it was nearing ten o'clock. He was sat in a secluded corner with his feet crossed at the ankles atop a study table. A book rested in his hands. He held up a finger, and she tapped her foot impatiently. When he didn't stir in over a minute, she huffed and slid into the chair beside him. He finally looked at her, eyes widening a fraction. She pulled out a heavy journal, three books, two vials, and a quill and arranged them on the table in front of them.

"Granger...what in Merlin's name are you doing?" Malfoy stuttered, closing his book. She glanced over at the title and snorted. The twat was reading "A Tale of Two Cities".

"It's wonderful, isn't it?" She asked.

"What?"

"The novel. The Dickens one, there in your hand. You know," she quipped, "the very author you taunted me for reading a few weeks ago. It seems you fancy him if you've already read it twice."

"What!?"

"Oh, do stop blathering, Malfoy. I heard you explain the plot to Theodore in the hallway a while back, and now that it's in your hands again I assumed this would be a second read." She paused to think, pointer finger tapping along her upper lip. "Although I do suppose you could be on a third read if indeed you're a quick reader."

Malfoy's mouth dropped open for a second before he righted himself, smoothing out his crisp black shirt. He lightly set the novel down and turned to face her. Hermione wasn't looking at him anymore, she was distracted by the journal before her. He cleared his throat.

"Sixth."

"Hmm?"

"Sixth. I'm on my sixth read. I'm struggling not to be insulted. It has been two weeks, after all. To think I'd only be on my second read," he rolled his eyes. She didn't look up from her scribbling. Malfoy grunted in frustration.

"Honestly, Granger! What are you doing?"

"How do you mean?"

"Here! You're here...in my corner. At my....table. In my space!"

"Yes, so?" Of course he felt entitled enough to claim a public table in the Hogwarts library. She was already regretting her decision to come. He slumped a little in his chair, apparently defeated. She couldn't help the smug look that crept onto her face. He leaned his head back against the head of his chair and closed his eyes.

"Fine, sit with me. Ruin my peaceful moment, interrupt Sydney Carton's declaration of love. I don't mind at all."

At this Hermione lost her inner battle and let out a raucous laugh. She couldn't stop herself, and within moments was wheezing in glee. She glanced over and saw Malfoy cross his arms, fighting a grin of his own. Warmth swelled in Hermione's core as his eyes finally locked on hers. Her mouth formed a small 'o' in surprise. His eyes were the brightest blue, a shade she had never seen in them before. She sat back as she puzzled through it.

"You occlude." If he was impressed she figured it out, he certainly did not show it. He held her gaze, face remaining impassive. She considered the boy in front of her. Of all the people who would need such a skill, the son of a Death Eater would. For the first time since she had known him, she imagined what his life must be like.

Raised by a cold sadistic father, pledged to the darkest wizard in history. The expectation not only to be a perfect pureblooded heir but also someday take the Dark Mark and join Voldemort's ranks. It was rumored that during the war, Voldemort even stayed in Malfoy manor. She couldn't imagine what that would be like, how the fear would take hold after being in his presence so much. Hermione swallowed with difficulty but continued to hold his gaze. And his mother...Hermione did not know very much about Narcissa Malfoy, but it was clear her son had a soft spot for her. Over the years, countless fights had ensued if someone had made any sort of comment about her. What would cause such a reaction? Surely his mother loved him and there was a closeness by definition of the relationship, but this was more. What if...what if Malfoy felt the need to protect her? What if there had been a time when he wasn't able to...multiple times, perhaps...and he tried to make up for it at school. Hermione was filled with horror as she remembered a time last year when Malfoy had simply stared at her as she was tortured by his aunt. He had stared at her with grey eyes.