chapter Three

╔.★. .═════════════╗

Chapter three: ghost of
Christmas present

╚ ═════════════. .★.╝

And that's when another portal opened…

Suddenly, we fell to the ground and landed in a location none of us had ever previously seen. The hall was gigantic and filled to the brim with Christmas treats.  Scrooge groaned as he sat up, “My, where are we?” He turned to glance around and noticed a huge pile of Christmas-baked goods in the center of the room. Whoever lived here, was far bigger than him.  

“Sir…” I quietly said, “Any chance you can let go of me now?” 

Scrooge looked down, he was still tightly holding on to me, his face flushed red furiously, “Ah, uh yes.” He cleared his throat once he let go, “Hello? Is anyone there?” Scrooge got to his feet and explored, “Strange, annoying candle lady… thing?”

Just then the whole room lit up, I screamed, completely struck with fear as a giant man rose from the ground, “WHO DARES DISTURB MY SLUMBER?” Scrooge tumbled back, shaking, “STATE THY NAME AND BUSINESS, PUNY MORTAL.” He demanded. Mr. Scrooge grabbed me, pulling me close to him as he shook in terror.

The giant broke character and chuckled, Both of us stood there, Frozen and silent. “I’m sorry, I can't keep it up! She dared me!” A small creature appeared next to the Giant, followed by another few hundred. “Oh, we do like to have fun here.” The man shrunk in size, going from around 11 feet tall to seven, still tall but better, I thought to myself.  “Don't worry. I know who you are.” The man brought Scrooge into a tight bear hug, “ Come on, bring it in, Ebeneezer Scrooge. Bring it in!” Scrooge groaned, By the look on his face I could tell his bones were crushed, “Welcome, my friends. Welcome.”

The giant walked over to me with a huge smile, “You must be Y/n, Correct?” I nodded, “Oh I have been so excited to meet you!” He squealed, now bringing me into the bone-crushing hug, “Kind, generous, warm-hearted, everything a good mortal should be!”

“This is great, but where are we? When are we?” Scrooge asked, brushing his clothes off from the hug.

“Oh, you are in the here and now. In the present!” The man replied,  “Isn't it just fabulous?”

Scrooge looked around in confusion,  “It's fine, I suppose.”

“From here, we can go anywhere I please. Just so long as it's happening right now.” A glowing globe spun around the man's hands, “And I do so love to visit your teeny-tiny, tootsy-wootsy, little planet at this time of year. So much love, generosity, and good cheer!” The man scowled at Scrooge, “Which, conversely, brings me to you.”

“Me?” Scrooge pointed at himself. 

“Yes, you! Squeezing, wrenching, grasping, clutching, covetous you!” The man walked around him,  “Secret and solitary as an oyster, you edge along the crowded paths of life keeping everyone at a distance including the ones you love most.” Scrooge looked at you then scoffed, clearly shaking off some sort of thought,  “Why, you stopped truly living your life so long ago, you might as well be dead.”

Scrooge scrunched his face in anger, “Do not presume to tell me how to live my life! I lead a good life. I'm a good man.” 

The giant man laughed, “Ha! "A good man," he says. Let me tell you, I've seen many mortals in my time and you are one of the worst out there.” Scrooge pouted at that, “Let's do a comparison, shall we?” Present grabbed me by the shoulder, “donates to charity even with the little amount of money she has, tries her best to make people smile, does not intentionally hurt people, and gives to the poor out of plain to see kindness.” Present then grabbed Scrooge with his other hand, “Never donates even with the riches he has, Intentionally hurts people, finds joy out of bringing others down…”