chapter four

╔.★. .═════════════╗

Chapter four: Ghost of
Christmas yet to come

╚ ═════════════. .★.╝

“We are no longer in the present. This is the future. This is what is yet to come.”

Everything slowed back down to its normal speed, Scrooge looked up at the new ghost in front of him who did not say a word, just stared at Scrooge,  “Are you still in there, giant? The fellow in the green robes? Liked life and so forth?” He hummed in thought. 

“No. You are something else entirely.” I answered, looking up at the ghost.

Scrooge stared at the new ghost, standing up, he cleared his throat, “You don't speak?” Silence… I wished it would, “ Your colleagues were rather fond of speaking. More than I would have liked… So you are the one that will show me what awaits if I do not change my ways?” He asked, no response,  “Yes? So I should change, should I?”

The only thing that could be seen behind the cloak was searing red eyes, the ghost continued to stare at Scrooge without so much as batting an eye at me. The only thing that could be seen behind the cloak was searing red eyes, the ghost continued to stare at Scrooge without so much as batting an eye at me.“Why? Tell me.” He began again,  “I live my life as well as I can. I have my faults, but who does not, truly?” Scrooge paced up and down, “Are all others I've been shown this night without blame? Am I the only one with the power to change my life? To change the lives of others?” Scrooge’s voice began to rise into a yell, “Tell me!”

Scrooge sighed, knowing he would not get an answer, “Oh, very well. Lead on. Show me what bleak future my wickedness has wrought. And, yes, nobody can see
or hear me, I know.” He muttered. 

The ghost raised his bony hand and pointed in the direction of Scrooge’s shop, I looked over and saw crowds gathering around, “Ladies and gentlemen!” A voice shouted, a voice you recognized to be Tom Jenkins, the toy shop owner.

Scrooge raised an eyebrow, “I know that fellow. Jenkins. Owes me Twenty five... No, fifty pounds.”

I gasped, “Fifty pounds?! How on earth did he get into so much debt?”

“I gave him two extra days for a debt, my generosity had to come with a cost.” Scrooge shrugged when he explained his thought process as we walked over to the crowds. “I must say he looks uncommonly happy for a man so deep in debt..”  

“We are gathered here as a group,” Tom Jenkins announced, “United by a common bond. Namely, our feelings of gratitude to Mr. Ebenezer Scrooge!” 

Scrooge stepped closer,  “How could a man in debt show so much gratitude?” he looked around at the crowd, “Now I think of it, most of these people in this rabble owe me money.” 

Everyone began to cheer, singing and dancing. I placed my finger on my chin, “What did you do for such applause? Most certainly didn't forget about all their debts… that's out of character for you.” I hummed. “Yet you let me out of a debt…” A smirked slightly.

Scrooge scoffed, “That was… different.” He turned around to face the ghost, “You are showing me What will happen if I do not change? I did not change, yet I am celebrated. And rightly so. These creatures have finally come to their senses. That's it. Ha!” Scrooge laughed.

I heard a muffled crying along the side of the crowd, I looked over, and there stood me, crying next to a wagon. Next to me stood Harry who was comforting me. I walked over slightly, “Hey, hey, it's okay Y/n.” Harry hushed me who was now crying on his shoulder, “I never knew you felt this way about that old man.”