25. Panic! At Café Uzumaki

Small TW/ tiny mention of drugging that's all. Enjoy.

———

The day was finally over, allowing a fresh breath to enter the Agency's lungs. Solving and stopping crime was an exhausting job even for the professionals, and it certainly weighed down on everyone's shoulders. Things have been crazy lately, from The Guild's attack on Yokohama, to Shibusawa's fog, to a small group of criminals' attack on the Agency's favorite café— It was an eventful past month, and everyone was in desperate need for a break, even if some insisted that work never rests (Kunikida).

As everyone was getting ready to leave for the day, Yosano came up with a brilliant idea and suggested that they all gather at Café Uzumaki on the first floor, to ease the alarmingly high tension that recently loomed over the Agency like a thick cloud. After giving it some thoughts, everyone seemed to agree with her suggestion. Kunikida needed a little more convincing, as he thought it was unnecessary and they should just get the rest they need, but ultimately chose to agree when pestered by his colleagues enough. This plan excluded Kenji and Kyouka of course, as they had gone home way earlier than everyone else.

It was evening. The sun had already set, and it was pretty much nearly dark outside. The warm orange light from the café was keeping the area lit. The café smelled strongly of rich coffee and espresso, it was an addictive scent that eased the mind. What they didn't expect to see upon entering the café was the Port Mafia's scary executive —Lady Vlatka, missing her hat, shawl and black coat, along with two kids, who happened to be Kyusaku and Elise. After their encounter with The Guild, Kyusaku was freed from their prison permanently. However, they were no longer allowed near their doll, which was for everyone's good, including Kyusaku themselves. The three, as well as the café owner all simultaneously turned their heads to look at the Agency members.

Everyone gaped at her in surprise. Atsushi audibly yelped when Tomie's eyes landed on his figure, who was standing in front of everyone else. The boy still had conflictive thoughts regarding her. Accepting her immediately as his new sister just wasn't possible yet, but he couldn't find it in him to reject her either, she was, after all, his one and only family. He'd grown tired of constantly thinking about the outcome of this situation, but every time he found himself standing in Tomie's presence, he'd freeze. Almost like he was afraid of something he couldn't quite put his finger on. He was... intimidated.

"Oh, hey guys..." Tomie greeted, settling her cup of coffee on the counter. "I didn't know you'd still be here this late. I imagine work must've been rough?"

"Thanks to your organization, that is!" Tomie heard a quirky voice among the crowd. Ranpo's head popped from behind Mishima's tall figure, grinning. He marched towards Tomie as he spoke. "But, too bad. All of them are pretty booooring. Can't you guys commit more interesting crimes?" Despite what he said, Ranpo opened his arms like a toddler demanding to be held in Tomie's direction, to which she smiled at him and obliged, bringing him into a bear hug and nearly lifting Ranpo up from the ground. Tomie giggled at his complaints. "Sorry, Ranpo. I'll make sure to do something about that."

"You don't see one of the Port Mafia's scariest execs around that often, hanging with a couple of kids..." Kunikida commented as he readjusted his glasses on the bridge of his nose. "This is quite a rare sight."

Tomie sheepishly rubbed the back of her neck, smiling friendly at the blonde man. "Well, the kids demanded I take them somewhere to eat, and I enjoy it here the most, so here we are." She finished by giving the café owner a look, making her giggle in response.