28. The Masque of the Red Death, Part Three

An exasperated sigh left Tomie's lips, as if she was in pure agony. And although it may have seemed it was because she was lost with their current circumstances, truthfully, it was where her thinking was bringing her to. A conclusion she was desperately hoping was wrong, even if the outcome never failed to be accurate to her predictions. She was sitting on the same bed she woke up on a few hours ago, all by herself, while Chuuya remained outside to ensure that the area was safe.

It had gotten scary quiet for the past few minutes.

Tomie's thumb remained between her teeth as she lost herself in her thoughts for a good while now. Mind hazy and utterly exhausted beyond comprehension. She felt like a black vortex was swallowing her mind whole. Had circumstances been different and she was teleported to this world alone, things would've been much easier, but much to her inconvenience, with Chuuya and Kyusaku live on the line, it was nearly impossible to take any risks.

Not that she had another choice, either way.

The door creaked open, and Chuuya waltzed in while one of his hands remained behind his back. "No one's coming for us, it seems."

Tomie sighed for the nth time, and stood up from the bed, then walked to the balcony. Her back was facing Chuuya and her hands were held behind as she gazed up at the glistening moon.

"Chuuya, I know what, or, who the Red Death is."

"....You do?" Chuuya asked with a surprised expression as he approached her slowly.

Tomie's eyes were cold as she turned her head to look at the ginger from over her shoulders. Then she twisted her body to gaze into Chuuya's mesmerizing, half-lidded blue eyes with a blank expression.

She slowly lifted her hand and pointed at him.

"It's you."

Chuuya blinked. His expression morphed into bewilderment. Almost as if he couldn't believe a single word that was coming out her mouth. Almost.

Tomie's expression remained blank in contrast.

"Hold on— What made you come up with this crazy shit?" Chuuya spat.

Tomie extended her hand to wipe the blood on Chuuya's chin away with her gloved thumb. "You seemed to not have noticed you still have some blood left on your chin."

Chuuya's eyes were glued to her hand the whole time as she retreated her hand. "How does that prove that I did anything? Of course I'll get blood on me, those fuckers attacked us, remember?"

"You're not bruised nor wounded anywhere. It can't be your blood. Besides, it's even more convenient that it somehow splattered near your mouth of all places, no?" Tomie continued with a cold voice. "Not to mention, each time you disappeared off somewhere, something happened not too long after. And even a moment ago when you stayed out to make sure no one was coming here, suddenly all noise stopped, as if the whole abbey dropped dead like flies. You purposefully made me the game's villain in order to erase suspicion off yourself and lurk around without arousing attention."

"Where are Elise and Kyusaku?"

Now it was Chuuya's turn to stare at her with a blank expression as she continued on.