23

Spencer

Spencer

"It looks great."

Chase gives me the side-eye and shrugs. "Aside from the yellow tape blocking off the construction zone."

Kayce frowns. "It's better than it was, Negative Nelly. At least it's not covered in drywall dust." He runs his finger along the bar top, then rubs his pointer finger and thumb together. "Though I still find that shit every once in a while."

While Chase and Kayce continue to chirp at each other, I marvel over the space. Tables have been pushed back to make room for a considerable-sized dance floor. A DJ has set up her equipment near the back wall, surrounded by speakers and strobe lights that are poised for action. A portion of the bar has also been sectioned off for appetizers and the poutine bar that'll be set up for a midnight snack. The shelves in the large walk-in fridge are full of platter of mini sandwiches, fruit trays, veggie trays, cocktail wieners, crab cakes—the works. The entire team is coming. We need lots of food to keep them happy. And to prevent them from getting too drunk. Jamie's transporting the cake here, which Chase and I made room for earlier. It'll be brought out much later.

The pub isn't decorated beyond a rational extent. There are no balloon arches or streamers. There is, however, a photo booth in the far corner, with plenty of props we can use. Although this party is for Lennon, I threw in a few things I enjoy, too. Such as the life-sized game of Jenga and the birthday shirts I had made for Lennon and I. They're cheesy, but I love them.

Although we didn't go all out, I still find this phenomenal. Lennon's going to be surprised and excited when he arrives and sees what we've done. That's all that matters. 

I toss my hair over my shoulder. "You two can argue all you want, but I think this is perfect. Lennon will love it."

Chase gestures to where the bowling alley is almost ready. "But it would be better if the bowling alley was functioning. You can't deny that."

"Bro." Kacey claps him on the back. "You sound like a whining child."

"Have to agree," I shrug.

Chase narrows his eyes. "You're lucky I like you."

Smiling, I pat his chest. "The truth hurts. Don't bruise your ego too much, sweetie."

Before Chase can pull me into a hug, Kayce loops his arm beneath my shoulders and tugs me toward him. Our arms press together. "I like her. She knows how to put you in your place. And it's about damn time someone did that."

Chase reaches out and pushes Kayce's toque from his head. It leaves his curly hair ruffled and falling in his face. "Too bad your boyfriend doesn't do the same for you. That ego has been talking too much lately. Think it's starting to take over."

I smile. It's nice to see Chase and his friend in action. Their chirps are funny, and they seem to be close. I'm glad he has a friend like Kayce, and I hope he was there to support him throughout the media drama or at least soon after.