The First Fire of Revolution in Panay (Ilonggo Nation)

Like the prophecy from a French astrologer, Michel de Nostradamus, the words of Datu Mal-am Makiling on more bloodshed, revolts, and revolutions proved to be true in the succeeding events at the end of 18th century. Many Filipinos did not know him (even from the internet or Google you will never find his story and other legendary Datus of Panay). He was a Datu from Panay with daring and brave to protect his people from the Spanish oppressors in their land. His number one enemy was the Spanish friars. These friars were considered superior and more powerful than the civil authorities. This influence was shown on the big number of convents, converts, and tributes alone in the Island of Panay.

"We toil hard so our family could eat, and here come the whites, not begging, but for forcing taxes for the land we till so they would get rich. Why do we, the tillers and the producers of our farm, have to pay tributes to these lazy Spaniards whose only obligation to us is to kill and maim us when we do not pay for their services which they render in subjugating us?" Datu Makiling told members of his family, seething in anger.

With his long years resistance to the Spanish of Panay until his death in 1801, it became futile. Until a spark ignited by the Tagalog revolt or the Philippine Revolution under Supremo Andres Bonifacio, the Ilonggo nation especially in Panay woke from its long and painful slumber and fought as one, in repelling the Spanish invaders.

First to catch the fire of revolution was the province of Aklan. The insurrection was bloody from the onset. The first attack in Kalibo on March 17 from Tagayon, Banga claimed the lives of the revolution organizer Francisco del Castillo, who joined in Katipunan. Famous among the casualties were the "19 Martyrs of Aklan" who were treacherously murdered:

· Roman Aguirre

· Tomas Briones

· Valeriano Dalida

· Domingo dela Cruz

· Claro Delgado

· Angelo Fernandez

· Benito Iban

· Candido Iban

· Simeon Inocencio

· Isidro Jimenez

· Catalino Mangat

· Lamberto Mangat

· Valeriano Masinda

· Maximo Mationg

· Simplicio Reyes

· Canuto Segovia

· Gavino Sucgang

· Francisco Villorente

· Gavino Yunsal

The revolution spread like wildfire and reached Capiz in 1897 and throughout Panay island.