Josephine Bracken

What a such delightful woman and made her honor devoted to the cause of the Filipinos beyond the belt of crisis!

After Josephine Bracken received the Imitation of Christ from her hero husband, José Rizal, she soon became a strong woman believing that there was more sense of duty to help the Filipinos fighting for the liberty. She vowed to help the common people which she inspired to his late husband faithfully.

Below was an entry from the book, "Memoirs of General Artemio Ricarte," which General Ricarte commemorated the "the dear and unhappy wife" of Rizal, not only a sad plight, she was an adopted and forsaken by her true father while the mother died after she delivered baby Josephine. You'll glimpse here the typical of the heroine Josephine who firmly stood to help at all cost for the beloved Philippines as Rizal gave his life for the sake of freedom. It went this way:

"The widow of Dr. Rizal, born in Hongkong, gave propf of her support of the cause of the country for which her husband gladly gave a life full of vigor and hope, by rendering much service to the insurrection and suffering much want and misfortune. At her request there was installed in the estate house in Tejeros, San Francisco de Malabon, a field hospital. And day and night, she attended and dressed the wounded with every care. She also gave hope to all the soldiers who went to visit their companions lying in the hospital. When the Spaniards captured San Francisco de Malabon, she escaped to Naik and from there to the Maragondón mountains, whence, accompanied by other women and Paciano, her brother-in-law, she left for Laguna, crossing the mountains and plains, oftentimes barefooted, and although the soles of her feet were blood-soaked, she did not stop. At other times she rode a carabao which Paciano led by a rope. Thus she reached the town of Bay where she was received by the Katipunan chief, Venancio Cueto, who put her aboard a boat for Manila, whence, she left for Hongkong where she died in 1902."

Moreover, she even helping the Filipino revolutionaries in reloading jigs for Mauser cartridges at arsenal in Imus. Later, she married Vicente Abad in Hongkong they have one child. She died from tuberculosis on March 15, 1902 and was interred at the Happy Valley Cemetery. Happy as it was for her in last moments.

Remember my fellow countrymen that she is also a noble heroine and it was a difficult tragedy putting her life in a tragic mission for the loving husband, Dr. José Rizal.