The Odd Hunt (Part 1)

"Robberies, kidnappings, murder..." Conan– er, Shinichi muttered as he flipped through his newspaper. "Man, these cases never stop coming, do they..."

Agasa chuckled. "Yeah, but your detective skills are working pretty well, right?" 

Shinichi groaned. "But that dumb Oji-san gets ALL the CREDIT!"

I snicker. I remember that in the manga that Shinichi is a very egoistic character. I learned that on the first case we did together, with a popstar Yoko and her ex. 

We had a little disagreement during the case, but we solved it out when we got home(?) Now we're comfortable making snarky remarks at each other.

I flip a page of my own book, which was a biography about one of my favorite writers in this world.

"Look, I finished it!" Agasa held up Shinichi's glasses. "They're called, Criminal Pursuing Glasses!"

I tilted my head. "The name sounds very self-explanatory," I commented, slightly smiling. "Not a bad thing though."

Agasa chuckled nervously, scratching the back of his head.

"How do you use this thing?" Shinichi asked.

"Just press the button on the side," Agasa pointed to a corner on the frame. 

There was a beep as the boy pressed the button, and an antenna popped out. "Wow!"

I hopped off of my spot on the couch and make my way over to them. "You sound like a literal kid when you shout out like that––"

A radar screen was displayed on the left lense. I noticed a blinking light moving around near the bottom right of the map, indicating that something was being tracked. "...Uh, forget what I said earlier. That actual looks kinda cool."

"What's the flashing thing?" Shinichi asked. 

"It's one of the transmitters that I stuck on a random cat. It'll track it as long as it's in a 20 kilometer radius," Agasa explained. "Now that I got Shinichi's gadget, it's Eiko's turn! Something to help you travel long distances, right?"

I straightened up. "Did I say something like that?" I think to myself a bit. I do think it'll be useful in catching up with Shinichi and others, since I hate running. But what did Agasa have in mind?

"Tada!" Agasa brandished a pair of light pink roller skates, with white laces and white wheels. "A pair of wheels to zoom around, as fast 60mph!"

"Isn't that too fast??" I ask, concerned.

"Don't worry," he pointed to the back part of the shoe. "This part keeps you stable when going speedy." He then flipped them to the back, revealing the boosters on the heels. "This will help you to accelerate. The wheels are made sturdy enough to handle the speed, so you also don't have to worry about it falling apart." 

He then pulled out a matching bracelet that seemed about the size of my small wrist. "This acts as a remote for the accelerators. These two buttons make it either stronger or weaker." Agasa pointed to the buttons with a plus sign and a minus sign on them. 

*For the bracelet, just imagine an apple watch with the same color scheme of the skates*

"Wow, thanks Agasa-hakase! These are great!" I gently took them out of his hands and inspected them a little. "I should got out on a test run when I get back."

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

"Please, Detective," a girl with glasses and two braids cried. "Please find my father!"

Kogoro sat there, stunned. "Y, yes..."

Sigh, I guess I can't go on a test run right now.

"My father works away from home in Tokyo, but he's been missing for a month," the girl explained. "And he quit his job at the taxi company... I had the police look for him as well, but they also couldn't find him.."

"So you came to me to find him..." Kogoro said. 

"Yes," the girl confirmed. "I've been absent from school in order to look for him. It's in Yamagata, by the way." She started to get frantic once again. "There's no one else for me to ask, Detective!" she cried out.

Kogoro sighed. "I understand... Let's get started then."

I squint my eyes at her, having a nagging feeling in my chest. Why did I feel like there was more to the story? I didn't get to finish my thought. 

The girl held out a photograph of a cheerful man holding a cat. "This is my father, Hirota Kenzou. He's 170 cm tall, and his age is 48."

"And the cat?" Kogoro asked while inspecting the picture. 

"That's my father's pet cat, his name is 'Kai.'" she said. "He really likes cats. He has three other ones named 'Tei,' 'Gou,' and 'Ou.'"

"I see, so he lived with some cats..." Kogoro pulled out his notebook and wrote something down. "Does he..."

I felt my eyebrow twitch. Why isn't she describing the cats as only her dad's, and not also her's? Does she not live with her dad? Maybe I'm looking too much into it.

"A search, huh?" Conan commented, interrupting my train of thought. We'd gotten a lot closer, since we usually hung around each other during school, not wanting to get close to the kids."Not really my forte.."

I scoff. "Says the 'Great Detective of the East.'" My fingers mocked him as they drew quotes in the air.

He rolled his eyes. "You're close, just without the 'Great.' But it does sound kinda nice..." He trailed off, lost in thought. 

"Ew, since that makes you happy, I'll stop saying it," I respond, shuddering. I look forward, following his line of sight. He was looking at Ran, who was serving tea to the two people on the couch. I nudge him a bit. "You should know––staring at your crush like that can come off as really creepy."

He shot me an irritated look.

I shrugged. "Just saying."

Sighing, he peeled off the transmitter on his button and strolled up behind Ran. He reached up, aiming to place the transmitter somewhere on her body. It looked like he was aiming to put it on her... butt. Of course, he let the intrusive thoughts take over.

As he reached a little bit more, I noticed the cord at his feet. 

In amusement, I watched him trip and accidentally fall on the couch––or more precisely––on the spot right next to the girl. I slapped my hand over my mouth, smothering a cackle.

He got up with a nervous laugh, but noticed the missing transmitter. He scanned the area, his gaze landing on the girl's watch. 

I look at the girl's face to see if she noticed, but to my surprise, there were tears forming. 

"My mother died when I was little... so my father is my only relative," she sobbed. "If something happened to him, I... I.."

Aaaannd there go the water works. If she was acting, then she's very good at it. Ugh, now she's making me feel bad. I guess there's nothing to be worried about, but I still can't get rid of this bad gut feeling...