The Odd Hunt (Part 2)

For the past few days, Kogoro was searching for Masami's father, who still hadn't turned up yet. He went to the police station, a few shops in town that he liked to visit, and even the pet shop.

He came home exhausted and lay on the couch for a while. The only time he got up was when the phone rang for the third time from Masami, who was checking in on the investigation.

"I'm very sorry..." Kogoro apologized when he told her he didn't get that far on the investigation. "Yes... Not yet...yes.."

He sighed and put down the telephone.

"Masami-san again?" Ran asked, who also saw the whole ordeal. 

"Yes," Kogoro ran a hand down his face. "...the third time today..."

He plopped down on the couch and scratched his head. "Shit, it's already been a week..."

"Ohh, the difference has gone from 4 lengths to 5!!" I turned to the TV, which was playing a horse race. I notice Shinichi paying attention to the television, too. "It's all over!! Goukaiteiou has won 5 consecutive G1 victories!"

"Goukaiteiou...?" Shinichi muttered. He then hurriedly pulled out a notebook and started writing. 

Ran glanced over to see what Shinichi was doing. "Eh?" She looked at the TV screen, realizing something. Snatching the notebook, she shouted out. "Of course!! That's exactly right!!"

"Huh?" I exclaimed. Naming the pets got me remembering something...wasn't it...?

"Huh?" Shinichi looked up, bewildered. 

"Hiroto-san must love horse racing!" Ran waved the notebook to her father and pointed to the lettering. "Look, he named all his cats after a horse!!"

"?" Kogoro slowly got up and walked over to Ran.

"Hey, hey..." Shinichi reached out, but it was already too late.

Ran grinned from ear to ear. "I'm sure we'll meet him if we go to the racetrack!"

"Heeyy..." Shinichi slumped down, dejected. 

I patted his back. "There, there."

"Shut up."

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

I lay in my futon, thinking. I was worried about tomorrow, which is when we're going to the racetrack to find Masami's father. I'm trying to think back to the manga, or the anime...

A teenage girl...missing father....cats named after a horse....