⫷Ⓒⓗⓐⓟⓣⓔⓡ Ⓞⓝⓔ⫸

𝙰𝚕𝚝𝚎𝚛𝚗𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚟𝚎 𝙼𝚎𝚊𝚜𝚞𝚛𝚎𝚜
✪✪✪

"No finger prints, hardly anything recognizable on the security cameras, and no clear depiction of the vehicle because it was night time and everyone was scared."

I threw my hands up in exasperation at my friend, Daniel's, words. He happened to be a cop in the city, and was assigned to the case that lead to my sister, Elaine's, death that night.

"This is useless!" I cried, my voice breaking. "So you're telling me there's no way to discover who killed Elaine?"
Daniel sent me a sympathetic look, shrugging. "We've got our best forensic teams on the case right now, but it's unlikely they'll turn anything up. There was very little proof, if any, left behind. Whoever did this was very good at doing it."

Over the past week, it was uncovered that the perpetrator responsible for Elaine's death was apart of a bank robbery, which explained the alarms that night. The vehicle was theirs, and they hadn't given any thought to civilians during their escape, causing the demise of many innocent people, including my sister. It haunted me still, and vengeful thoughts from that night still rang clearly in my head a week later.

"I'm sorry, Emma," Daniel said softly, placing a comforting hand on my shoulder.
"There's nothing much we can do with the limited equipment we've got."

But that's when an idea struck me, and I felt the slightest flicker of hope flash through me.
"What if we use better equipment?" I asked slowly.

Daniel raised a brow. "We're using the best we've got, Em. I don't know what-" but I cut him off with a dismissive wave.
"Not you. Not the police. I've got a better idea."

I sprang up out of my seat, ignoring Daniel's calls as he questioned me. I grabbed my jacket and practically flew out of the police station, waving down the first cab I could spot on the road. I glanced back at Daniel, who waved his hands questioningly.
"I'm going to get someone else involved," I said simply. "Someone who I'm pretty sure can help."

✪✪✪

"We've arrived." The driver stated, and I thanked him as I got out, retrieving a $20 bill from my wallet and handing it to him. He nodded and drove off again, as I turned my gaze up to the large, mansion-like building ahead of me.

I slowly began walking towards it, up the stairs and to the front door. I gripped the door knocker, took a single, confident breath, and knocked it against the door a couple times. A few moments later, and the door cracked open, revealing a fair young lady with brunette hair and kind eyes.
"Can I help you?" She asked, a brief flicker of suspicion in her gaze. I gave the softest smile I could, nodding.

"I'd like to talk to Mr. Devon Miles," I was relieved I hadn't forgotten the name. "It's important."
The woman hesitated, but nodded slowly. "Alright, come in. I'll let him know you're here to see him."

I nodded respectfully and stepped inside, watching as the woman quickly disappeared up the stairs. I took the time to admire the large pictures on the wall. One stood out to me, a picture of an elderly man with a wise loom about him. Beneath the photo were the words, Wilton Knight, Foundation Founder.

"Wilton Knight was probably the most brilliant man I've ever met," a confident voice with a pleasant British accent spoke up from behind me, and I spun around to see the owner of the voice. Another wise looking somewhat older gentleman with a suit and tie, gazing at me with the slightest hint of a grin.
"Without him, this Foundation would never be where it is today."