⫷Ⓒⓗⓐⓟⓣⓔⓡ Ⓕⓞⓤⓡ⫸

𝙱𝚞𝚜𝚝𝚎𝚍 𝙺𝚗𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝
✪✪✪

"Emma, get down!"

KITT didn't need to tell me twice as I ducked. His door opened and I slipped inside, shutting it. I felt far safer inside, peering out the front window desperately to spot whoever was shooting at me.

But KITT didn't exactly give me time to search. He backed out of the garage of his own accord, taking off faster than I knew possible.
"Are you alright?" He asked me, his tone sounding genuinely concerned. I nodded slowly, trying to calm my racing heart. I didn't like that horrible feeling in my stomach, the one that made me feel ill; nearly being shot and probably killed wasn't anything I'd experienced before, and it shook me more than I would ever admit.

"Michael, are you there?" KITT spoke again, and a few moments later, Michael's voice came through the speakers, quietly. "Yeah what's up, KITT?" He whispered.
"We've matched the tire tracks to the car with the matching license plate from the tape. However, someone with a gun came along. I got Emma out of there quickly, but I can't guarantee we aren't being pursued."

There was a moment's pause before Michael replied.
"Alright just give me a few more minutes, I'll be right there. Hide if you need to, pal, just don't go too far away."

The windows became darker, and KITT once again drove silently, pulling out of the drive way and into a small ally not too far away. He backed into it, leaving just enough space to easily see the rental place if we needed to.

It was just a few moments later that two cars raced from around back, skidding to a halt in the parking lot. Two men emerged from the cars, looking around in confusion as to where we'd gone.
I watched as KITT snapped photos of the two men, something I probably wouldn't have thought of, before they got back in their cars and disappeared around back again.

I stared out the window at nothing in particular. Images dances across my vision. I briefly closed my eyes, and immediately saw myself on the side of the path, Elaine's horrified face screaming back at me for help. My eyes flew open and I swallowed a cry of despair. I opened the door just a bit, feeling a wave of nausea come over me. I focused instead on the cool night air, trying to clear my awful thoughts.

"Emma, are you alright?" KITT's voice brought me back to reality. I took a breath, which was more shaky than I intended it to be, unsure what to say.
"I-I don't know," I finally said honestly.
"You aren't hurt, are you?" He asked, and I shook my head. "Not physically, KITT. Not physically."

I focused on the sliver of concrete I could see through the partially open car door, willing myself to stop shaking.
"Emma, considering you haven't been in this line of work before, I believe it's quite safe to assume you've never experienced something incredibly dangerous before, that includes being shot at. You don't need to hide it. It's quite understandable."

I glanced back at the dash, unable to stop the emotion that came through my voice when I replied.
"The night of the robbery... The night of my sister's death... I promised myself I would do whatever it takes to avenge her. I promised her that I would find whoever took her away from me-" I choked on my words as tears slid down my cheeks. I felt embarrassed, not only to be spilling all this to a machine, but about feeling embarrassed to be crying in front of one. Still, I was rambling now, and I couldn't stop.

"She was my world. Elaine and I did everything together. I looked up to her, and I always thought growing up that I'd never be able to live without her. I lost a part of myself when I lost her, I-... I just want to avenge her, and I thought I could! But look at me, one brush with being hurt and I'm a mess. Maybe Michael was right... I'm not cut out for this. I should never have come with you guys, you would've been better off without me."