⫷Ⓒⓗⓐⓟⓣⓔⓡ Ⓣⓗⓡⓔⓔ⫸

𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝙷𝚞𝚗𝚝 𝚒𝚜 𝙾𝚗
✪✪✪

We were charged for driving well above the speed limit and for disturbing the general peace of the town.

Now, I found myself in a jail cell beside Michael's, staring up at the ceiling in disbelief. There was the sound of a door opening, and the Sherrif of the small town emerged on the other side of the bars.

"So, Mr. Knight," he began, glaring at Michael through the bars. "Ran a background check on you, says you're from quite a few different places. But it only goes back about five years, before then there ain't a trace of yah. So who are you, exactly?"
Michael sighed.

"I work for the Foundation for Law and Government. I'm a freelance investigator. I was just on my way through town and started getting tailed by this car. I was defending myself, Sheriff."

The Sheriff narrowed his eyes, turning his intimidating gaze on me. "And you, Ms...?"

I caught Michael's eye, thinking on my feet.
"Lockhart. Emma Lockhart. I was also on my way through town, Michael here was giving me a quick lift to the hostel when the car started following us. I'm sorry, Sheriff, I wasn't apart of it, I swear! Just happened to be caught in the middle, I suppose."

The Sheriff didn't look convinced, but Michael chipped in. "She's telling the truth. She's innocent, Sheriff."

The Sheriff gave a sigh. "Where did you come from? Before the car started tailing you, I mean. Where were you just before that?" He asked the both of us, and I quickly jumped in before Michael had a chance to reply.
"Michael made a stop at the car rental place to talk to someone there. Then we were going to finish the drive to the hostel but someone followed us from the rental place!" I forced an edge of fear into my voice to make it more convincing, and when I caught Michael's eye again, he gave a tiny, approving nod.

"Alright, we'll check how valid your story is, Ms Lockhart. But you, Mr. Knight... You still have charges to face. You'll both be in here for the night."

With that, he walked off, leaving us in silence. Michael leant against the bars separating our cells, bringing his hand up and pressing that small button on his watch.
"KITT, where are yah, pal?" Michael whispered. There was a brief pause before KITT replied.

"In the police impound, Michael, where else would I be?" He asked, his tone edged with irritation. I hid a smirk; if they'd been through this thing before, I could imagine KITT was sick of car impounds by now.
"Do you want me to come get you out of jail, again?" KITT went on.

"No, it's fine. We're just here for the night. But call Devon. Tell him what's happened, everything. If things go according to plan, Emma won't even be suspected. Our story is she was just hitchhiking to the hostel and got caught up in our fiasco. Make sure Devon knows everything!"
Michael finished.

"Of course, Michael." Was the only thing KITT said, before Michael lowered his hand and looked at me with an uneasy grin.
"Well. We're in for a long night, so let's try to get some rest. See you in the morning."

I sighed as he and I both retreated to our respective bunks. I knew there was no way I was going to get any sleep that night. I just hoped tomorrow would be alright.

✪✪✪

By the time slivers of sunlight angled through the tiny openings in the cell wall, I'd felt as if I'd drank too much the night before. My sleep had been broken more times than I could count, and my muscles ached from the terrible sleeping conditions. I considered myself lucky when an officer came by and woke Michael, telling both of us we had a visitor.