Part 4

The pub had been unusually busy, every time the door opened my head would spin round to see if it was John, but he didn't come back. Before I knew it the landlady was ringing the bell for last orders, the usual clamour at the bar ensued as all customers tried to make sure they had that one last drink.

My friends had got to the pub about 9, they'd been round the far end of the bar, congregated around the pool table. We had a good number and it looked like at least 15 of us would be heading off into town as soon as I could get away.

"Mike, you are coming with us tonight, aren't you?" I asked the new barman who'd started working with me about a month ago.

"Erm yeah, why not" he answered scratching his head as he made his decision.

The two of us had hit it off immediately, it was so nice to have someone else there my age, everyone else who worked behind the bar was at least five years older than me.

With our excursion into town playing heavily on our minds we set about the task of getting the place cleaned up, so whilst the others took a break we cracked on. His job was to restock the fridges and mine was to clean the bar and drip trays and make a start on the tables. The pair of us ran round like swirling dervishes.

"So is Mike coming tonight?" Clare wiggled her eyebrows at her double entendre.

"Yes, I've asked him for you." I grinned at her as she kindly helped put the dirty glasses on the end of the bar. She had decided the minute she saw him she was going to bed him, I'm not sure he was completely on board with her plan but my part of her scheme was completed. I had gotten him there it was her job to get his clothes off and get him into bed.

By twenty passed eleven the landlady had sent the others back to work and told me to go upstairs and get ready. Before half passed I was back down stairs ready and waiting to go.

I had quickly thrown on the matching red dress to the navy one I'd worn last night, reapplied my make up, adding a little eyeliner and mascara and put on a pair of heels. So I was good to go. Our usual taxis were waiting outside for us.

By the time we got to town it was after a quarter to twelve, as was our usual routine we headed towards the only nightclub our little town boasted. Another of our friends worked behind the bar and his older brother was one of the bouncers on the door, so whilst everyone else queued up he ushered Clare, me, Mike and the rest of us into the place.

As always the heat and smell of compact bodies hit you as soon as you opened the doors, I swear the walls were perspiring. I quickly put my bag and jacket in the cloakroom, just keeping my tiny clutch bag with me. By the time I reached the others at the bar there was a cold beer waiting for me and of course my compulsory glass.

"I'm not sure Mikes interested in me?" Clare pouted in between swigs of her beer. I had a feeling she was right, she'd virtually thrown herself at him last week and she hadn't even gotten a kiss.

"Don't be ridiculous, you're gorgeous" I soothed, who wouldn't be interested in you. To illustrate my point I turned to ask the nearest male to me if he'd turn down the opportunity of spending the evening with her, thankfully he didn't disappoint. His enthusiastic response cheered her up instantly and I had the feeling if Mike was a no go she'd be scouring the club for him later.

"Right well, I guess you better show him your moves then." I ordered as I grabbed her hand and we headed towards the surprising empty dance floor, it was the only place in the whole building where there was a reasonable amount of space between bodies. With one of our favourites blaring we started dancing. Clare was a much better natural mover than I was, it wasn't until I'd had at least four drinks I lost my stiffness, so by the time we'd yo-yoed between the bar and the dance floor it was almost one before I'd found my rhythm and stopped looking awkward. Much to Clare's delight Mike and most of the others had joined us. It was turning out to be a great night, we'd laughed, gossiped, danced and had a few drinks.