Chapter 8: La Tristesse

"So," Ladybug begins, pacing with her hands together, "you came to help us with Monarch?"

I nod. "I've never seen someone with so many miraculouses. It's insanely dangerous. I figured you guys could use the help seeing that you went from about a dozen heroes to just two."

Ladybug winces. "I guess." She turns back to me. "How do you plan to help us though? Do you have an idea to defeat Monarch?"

I shrug timidly. "I'm working on it." Little did she know Félix was currently working on the situation.

"Okay, I—" Ladybug starts, but she is cut off by a scream.

Our heads turn toward the sound. Ladybug groans and gets her yo-yo out, ready to assess the situation. "Akuma," she mutters before swinging away.

I quickly follow after her using my baton. I wonder who was akumatized this time?

I land next to Ladybug on a rooftop as her blue eyes scan the circumstances. A gray-toned girl walks the empty streets, tears in her eyes. Her entire being radiates sadness.

I suddenly hear wailing. My ears swivel to the sound. I turn my head and notice a woman collapsed on the ground, sobbing uncontrollably. Her colors are drained from her body, leaving behind a black and white husk of a human.

"What's up with her?" I ask Ladybug, nodding my head in the direction of the woman. Ladybug turns her head to the sobbing lady and looks at her with scrunched eyebrows.

"Must be the villain's superpower," she states. "Come on, let's go check it out." With that, she leaps off with her yo-yo, casually approaching the crying villain.

I jump after her as the girl's eyes sadly meet Ladybug's. Her dull gray eyes burn with a thousand conflicting emotions. She looks...empty.

I feel a pain in my chest at the sight. The poor thing must've been going through something awful to still be in this state while akumatized.

"Please leave me alone," the girl whispers shakily.

"You know we can't do that," Ladybug assures.

"Please," she begs. "I don't want to hurt you but I will."

"Then let us help you," I suggest.

Her dull eyes glance at me. "Who are you?" she murmurs.

"Albachor," I state proudly, "and I want Monarch to know that his rein of terror will soon be over. I can't let him hurt anyone else."

A glowing purple mask hovers over the girl's eyes. Monarch was listening. I smile with satisfaction. He had heard what I said.

"Shut up," the girl insists, seemingly talking to the voice in her head. "I want to be left alone. I deserve to suffer like this."

I look sadly at the girl. I know what it's like to feel that way. It's not exactly a pleasant headspace to be in.

"No one deserves to suffer," Ladybug comforts. "Don't let Monarch control you like this."

"No!" the seemingly timid girl shouts. "I am La Tristesse, and if you don't leave me be, I will hurt you!"

"We can't do that, Tristesse," I confirm. Ladybug begins to swing her yo-yo and I ready my baton into a fighting position.

"Fine," La Tristesse growls. "Then you will feel my pain!"

A bright white orb appears in her hand and she hurls it at us. We both leap out of the way just in time. I assume the orb was what caused others to become colorless and miserable. I'm not exactly eager to relive any emotional pain.