28

It became an undocumented mission as the three teens became seven after they picked up each student nearby and crammed inside her car. It was amazing to Jesse that she was able to drive for so long with her trunk open and two kids sitting inside while they sped over to the LaRusso household for guidance. Nathan sat up front with his hands clenching and unclenching between anger and fear, quietly listening to the three loudmouths in the back seat rambling on about how illegal and terrible the situation was.

But there was a silent agreement amongst the group that getting the law involved would provoke retaliation, even if it was wrong.

By the time Jesse parked inside the gated household of the LaRusso residence, everyone was antsy, hopping out of the car and rushing over to get whatever guidance they could from their mentor. They had been the good guys and yet, it felt like they were punished for it. Especially poor Nathaniel who walked behind the crowd with a busted lip and torn shirt from the harsh pavement.

"Oooo, and the little shit throws a clumsy punch, but it's blocked by the snake! Looks like our loser is tiring out, but wait! A thrust punch to the chin and he's on the ground! Will he get back up? Ouch! Don't look away now! That's gotta hurt!"

She couldn't forget any part of it. The way Hawk laughed cruelly at Nathan's cries when he landed awkwardly on the ground or the way he snarled the play by play into her ear, and it was all sealed into her memories by the fingerprint bruising on her forearms. Jesse swallowed thickly as she walked beside Nathaniel with her arms around herself, thankful for the button down that Demetri had gifted her without even needing to be asked.

The fact that he had brought out a golden mustard color to attempt matching her outfit had her feeling warm inside.

It was the way Demetri turned around at the door step to look for her, eyes darting with concern, and his shoulders dropping inches when he saw her. How he stood next to her protectively with light grazed that had him nervous, but unwilling to back away due to the guilt that this wouldn't have happened had he been there. Had he argued and insisted on her driving him home because it's dangerous right now.

And it was how he quietly dabbed a cotton ball across her palms and knees to clean up the scarped that had dried blood crusting around them from the shoved to the ground. His teeth biting the inside of his cheeks and eyes narrowed in focus like the few times she watched him do some kind of model build or hard video game.

The small things that made her heart melt into a big pile of soppy wet goop was what she noticed about that night. Memories of a tainted afternoon covered up by the awkward sweetness of her best friend.

"...you're really good at this." Jesse offered a break in the silence sending a grateful smile from spot at the kitchen counter. The others were fusing about in the living room while Nathaniel was treated by Sam and Chris. "Thinking about being a doctor or nurse like your mom?"

Demetri snorted as he transitioned to applying some ointment on the cuts of her hands, shaking his head at the suggestion. "Absolutely not. The past year has exceeded my normal people-to-people interaction by a dangerous amount, medical career is not my cup of tea."

"Tragic." Jesse teased with a small kick to his chair, wincing a bit at the pressure on her knees. The adrenaline had worn off a bit ago. "You're good at it."

"Yeah, well, Eli and I spent a lot of time with first aid kids after school and in the bathroom." Jesse's smile dropped at the anecdote, feeling her tongue swell up at the once again reminder of her past. Demetri didn't seem to notice as he pulled out a roll of bandages and softly manipulated her palm to an open position. "We used to each carry a first aid kit in our bags and had one in our lockers. Mother threatened to dress me bubble wrap because of how many times I needed more bandages."