cherry bombed

Shawn didn't walk me to school today and he's not here either. "Cor, have you seen Shawn?" I go up to him in Feeny's class, "Cass, he wanted me to tell you that he's in deep deep trouble. Come over to my place after school, okay?" He mumbles in a whisper to me, trouble? What could he have possibly done?

++
I'm worried all day, Cory won't tell me anything.

Final bell rings and I basically tackle Cory, "Come on let's go, I need to know!" I basically scream at him. "Okay okay okay, come on." Cory says and drags me to his house. I run up to Cory's room, "Shawny?!" I call out and he slides from under the bed, "Cass." He sounds so relieved and he bear hugs me, "Shawn what's going on?" "You know that cherry bomb I got?" I nod, "All day I kept feeling it in my pocket all round and waxy just begging me to light it. I mean I could actually hear it saying 'light me shawn light me'" "Oh no, Shawny what did you blow up?" I ask before I realize, my dad was talking about a kid blowing up a mailbox, "Shawn did you blow up the mailbox? Was that you?" He plops down on Cory's bed, "Yes." He sounds so upset.

"I've been here since last night, I don't know what else to do." Shawn says, "Well, first of all, those clothes, don't fit you." I chuckle, "Yeah, they're Cory's." He scoffs, "Shawn, you should've came to me, I was worried sick about you." I caress his cheek and kiss his forehead, "I just knew your parents would find me there and they hate me, Cory's parents kinda like me, well, now they won't; I'm a fugitive, a cherry bombing fugitive." Shawn says in disbelief.

"Shawn, my parents won't hate you! They'd actually try to help you, you know they would." Cory comforts him, "Yeah, and my parents don't hate you, they just hate the idea of their daughter being involved with boys especially-" "Someone like me, I know." Shawn buts in, "Especially not after this one, Cass." I sigh and sit on his lap, "My dad is just narrow minded but Cory's dad isn't, you really should tell him Shawn." I assure him.

"No, I can't and if either of you rat me out I'll never speak to you again." Shawn almost yells at Cory and me angrily. I'm in disbelief, Shawn has never yelled at me before; he must be serious. I nod, "Okay, I won't tell." I hold up my pinky and he interlocks his to mine and we kiss our hands, sealing the promise.

"I can't promise you that Shawn, I want you to come back on my side of the line." Cory says before opening his door, "Dad!" He calls, Shawn panics and rushes out of the window, "Shawn!" I call for him and follow him.

"Cass, you gotta go home, you can't come with me; I'm a fugitive." Shawn is speed walking in front of me, I'm trying to keep up, "Shawny it's just a misdemeanor! You also didn't mean to do it and it was in front of Mr. Matthews store, you know he won't press charges! You'll be fine Shawny, please stop walking so fast." I reach for his arm, "Cass, my parents are going to ground me for a year!" Shawn whines, "Then I'll see you in a year, I'll also see you in school, at lunch, in Feeny's class. Shawn you need to go home. It'll all be okay if you go home honey, please. I need you. I feel safe with you, don't leave." I beg.

He looks at me with swelled eyes, "You promise no matter what you'll wait for me?" He asks, I nod, "I'll always wait for you."

++

I walk with Shawn home, "I'll see you at school tomorrow, okay?" I say to him softly, "I love you, Shawn." "I love you, Cass." He takes a deep breath before walking inside. His mom sounds relieved but his dad is furious. I feel so bad for him but I'm happy he's safe at home.

Me on the other hand? I'm dead. It's 4:30 I should've been home hours ago, but for Shawn, it's worth getting in trouble. He's worth it all to me.

++

"So what happened?" I ask Shawn as I sit at my desk next to Shawn, "Eh, I'm grounded for a month, no TV, just school and home." "A month isn't bad, at least I get to see you in school." He nods, "If I couldn't see you I don't know what I'd do." Shawn says.

I don't know what I'd do without Shawn either.

{s1}