video evidence

"Cor, can you not film me?" I ask, holding my hand over my face. "It's content!" He exclaims, "Well, I don't like it." I say, walking ahead of him. "Now you're giving me content for Shawny." He chuckles, "You're so annoying!" I groan, "Can we just hurry up and get to Turner's? Record stupid stuff later." I roll my eyes and snatch his camera from him. "Okay, mom." He groans and we finish our walk to Mr. Turner's house.

"Can I have it back now?" He whispers to me with his hands on his hip. I roll my eyes and hand it over, "Thank you." He says and begins filming Mr. Turner's door, "Oh god." I mutter to myself as he knocks on the door, "Hi Cass, Cor." Mr. Turner greets, "What's with the camera?" He asks, "You don't mind if I film do you?" Cory asks and Turner looks at me, "help" I mouth to him. He instantly pulls me inside, "No, I don't mind." He replies and slams the door in Cory's face. "Harsh." I say as Cory is knocking on the door, "Turn that thing off and I'll let you back in." Turner shouts, "Oh, come on!" Cory complains, "What are you hiding?" Cory asks. "Just let him in." I roll my eyes and he opens the door, "My disdain for you." Turner teases.

"Shawn! Shawn-" Cory starts, "On the phone, Cor." He says quickly as he descends the stairs, walking towards me, "Hi, honey." He says and kisses me soft and quickly, "No, not you dad." Shawn says into the phone, "Yes, Cassidy." "Uh-huh. Anyway, so dad. How you gonna celebrate your birthday?" Shawn asks, sitting on the couch. "How come he can kiss you and not me." Cory complains, making me chuckle, "Go ask for a kiss." I teased him, "Ew, no." Cory shivers; he is a weird weird boy.

"Where's Shawn's dad calling from?" Cory asks Turner, "He said abroad Air Force One but I doubt it." Turner whispers, "Be nice." I scold as I stare at Shawn, admiring his body language; he's tense. "I'm glad to hear you're doing so well I- oh, you gotta go? Oh, the President needs the phone," Shawn chuckles nervously, "Okay well can't wait to- hello?" His expression drops, "I didn't get a chance to sing him happy birthday." He frowns as he pushes the phone antenna down. "I'm sorry, Shawny." I say, sitting next to him. "You miss him, huh?" Cory asks, walking over to us. "Family's really important to the Hunters." Shawn says, wrapping his arm around me, "My dad always said , where there's family there's a place to hide." Shawn mimics his father's rasp, "Did he say when he was coming back?" Cory asks, "No but he did say he can't wait to see me." Shawn sighs as he gets up to hang up the phone, "I bet it'd make him really happy to see how well I'm doing." Shawn says, leaning against the back of the couch. "Well he can!" "What?" I ask, "Matthews has his video camera. He can put you on tape!" Turner exclaims, "Yeah! We can go down to the trailer park and get all you relatives on tape. I'll shoot it!" Cory gets excitedly; I know Shawn hates this idea. "What do you say, Shawn?" Turner asks, "Putting the Hunter family on tape," Shawn pauses, "It'd be great!" He matches their excitement, "It'd be like Court TV without the Court." Shawn jokes and Mr. Turner pats his back. "We'll start tomorrow!" Cory almost giggles, "I have to go get prepared!" He sings as he hurries out the door.

"Okay?" I question as the door shuts, "Uh, Cass. Want to go to the mall or something?" Shawn asks and I nod, "Sure." I smile. "Be safe, you two." Turner fathers us and Shawn waves him off as we leave the apartment. "Hey, you okay?" I ask as soon as we leave the apartment, "Yeah, fine. I just don't want Cory finding out too much, you know?" Shawn informs as he wraps his arm around my shoulders, "I know." I sigh and rest my head on his shoulder.

++

Shawn and I decided to sneak into my room so we could be alone. No talking, just cuddling. His heartbeat calms me like a baby listening to white noise. "Cass, can I sleep over?" Shawn whispers, "Sure but can you call Turner to tell him so he's not worried?" I ask, "Turner doesn't care. It's fine, let's just stay here." Shawn says, tightening his grip, "Okay." I huff.

++

Shawn was wrong, he was so wrong. "Cassidy Lynn!" My dad shouts from downstairs after the phone rang, "Shawn, go." I panic and push him towards my window, "I'll go in the closet!" He panics, "No, go!" I continued to panic, that shout was not a good one. "See you tomorrow." I say out of the window as he climbs down. "I love you." Shawn says and I close my window and curtain and throw myself into my bed all before my dad gets upstairs. "Cassi-" My dad yells as he opens my door to see me asleep, "Where is he?" My dad says through his teeth as he rips the door to my closet off, "What?" I ask, fake sleepily, "Don't what me! You know what I mean." My dad yolks me up by my wrists, "I got a call asking where that Hunter boy is. Why else would I get called if he wasn't here?" My dad yells, "Daddy, I don't know. I'm sorry. Maybe he ran away, he's done that before." I panic. "Liar." He says, pushing me back down onto my bed. "Go get my belt." He says with his hands on his hips, puffing out his chest. I nod and quickly but quietly hurry to his room, grabbing the belt he always uses on me. My fingers run over the cracks as I walk back to my room. "H-here daddy." I accidentally stuttered, "What was that?" He grows angrier, "A stutter?" He asks, "Even more of a reason to use this, to beat that stutter right out of you." My dad says before he hits me.