Chapter 1

"Zarina please wake up!"

In her sleep-induced state, she barely registered the panic in Matteo's voice.

She groaned while shoving her head further beneath her heavy sheets while her brother began to shake her aggressively, "Why the hell are you in my room?"

"Ian's in the hospital!" He sputtered as he left her bed to hurriedly put on his shoes. Sleep rapidly escaped her when she heard the words, and without hesitation she got out of bed and followed suit, attempting to function both objectively and efficiently rather than emotionally.

"Why didn't anyone call me?" Bile rose up her throat as she thought of the wounded state he was in. She hurried out of her bedroom in search of the car keys, willing herself to act accordingly despite the unease engulfing her mind.

"They did, but you sleep like a damn rock!" He yelled frustratedly, waking her proved to be more of a hassle than it should be. He hurried behind her, she flung the keys and urged him to start the car while she gathered all the necessities off her nightstand, she grabbed her phone and to her surprise, there were over twenty missed calls from Rafael. With increased panic, she rushed down the stairs and into the garage.

"Where are they?" She listened attentively to her brother's words as she backed out of the driveway and made her way to the gate.

"St. Luke's," he said as he fidgeted with the bracelets around his wrist. Zarina felt guilty that he'd been the one to receive the call due to her unreliability.

"Signorina Vazzoler, where you heading to at-" the security guard paused to look down at the watch on his wrist, then back at her, "03:02 a.m.?"

She'd been nothing but cordial with their security staff, but now was simply not the time for an interrogation, "James, I can assure you that Matteo and I don't plan on having a joy ride at this time of night," she gestured at there bodies, which were still clothed in pyjamas.

"No one goes through these gates without Mr Vazzoler's say so." He crossed his arms, head held high up in defiance as he referred to their eldest brother. She scoffed completely confounded; he had no issue letting out Rafael a few hours ago, he probably gave him a big smile and a gentle pat on the back before letting him through these gates. Ultimately, there's no way in hell either of them was foolish enough to wake her brother during his time abroad to settle such a menial dispute.

"It's an emergency so I'd appreciate it if you'd open up the gates, should you have any problems you can discuss them with your Capo and should he relay your complaints back to me, I can assure you that this Vazzoler won't have any kind words to say about both your poor efforts and your evident preferential treatment, so open the damned gate," she said. No room for debate.

He sneered, moved aside and gestured at one of his workmates to open the gate.

"Have a good night Miss," he said sarcastically. She didn't even bother replying.

"He shouldn't give you that much shit," Matteo said as they drove out.

"He shouldn't, but he does anyways, try to replace him and we'll be stuck with a different person with the same prejudices." She appreciated his sympathy but decided to shut down the topic of conversation and redirected it to their issue at hand.

"Can you please explain what happened?" She kept glancing at the dashboard, trying to get them there without exceeding the speed limit, although she had her license, she wasn't the most experienced driver.

"Rafael seemed thrown over the phone, but he said that they got hit while leaving Gemma's." At this moment she was grateful that Matteo stayed home, at least she had one less brother to worry about.