Chapter 7

"I can't wait for my arm to heal," Ian huffed.

"A few more weeks and the court is yours." She genuinely felt for him, she knew how passionate he was about basketball, and in addition to that, the guy he was dating was on the team as well, what was meant to maximise their time together now became the reason they barely saw each other.

They sat on the bleachers, staring at the basketball court. The game wasn't starting any time soon, but people always arrived earlier to buy food, paint their faces and just get settled.

She saw Raf jogging towards them in his game attire, "Zarina can I talk to you for a second?" He asked looking serious.

"If this is about our argument-" she began.

"Just a moment please," he asked again. Since their argument a few days ago, she hadn't made much of an effort to interact with him, this wasn't the first time they've had an argument of this nature. Rafael never made an effort to hear her out or see things from her perspective, which seemed to be a recurring theme in their disputes.

She silently followed him down the bleachers, into a secluded corner where they could talk without interruption.

"I wanted to apologise," he said.

"For?" She asked confused, aware that this had to do with their argument but not certain which part.

"For hurting your feelings," he said.

"Although I appreciate the sentiment," she said sarcastically, "it seems as though you still don't believe me?"

He scoffed, "Zarina, can you at least appreciate the fact that I'm trying to make peace."

Then it clicked, and she laughed humourlessly, "Did Stef ask you to apologise?"

He remained quiet, his lips taut as he slowly lost his patience.

"You obviously don't believe me so there's no conversation to be had. Thanks for your apology." She turned to leave him.

As if he always had to have the last word he spoke, "Even if there was a man in the parking lot, doesn't mean that he's out to get us," his tone was condescending, as though he were speaking to a child, "I thought after copious amounts of therapy, you'd stopped hallucinating." 

She stopped dead in her tracks and turned to face her brother once again, completely taken aback by his words, "Having nightmares about our dead mother and seeing a man lurking around the school are two completely different topics!"

She calmed herself, afraid that she'd make a scene, a few people were already peering in their direction, "There's nothing I can tell you to make you believe me. I don't know if you genuinely believe I'm a nutcase or you're simply in denial of the fact that our family is in real danger."

She left before he could spew any more hurtful words.

As she made her way up the bleachers, she spotted Enzo further down sitting next to Gemma. As if this night couldn't get any shittier.

"Are you okay, What was that about?" Ian asked.

"Just Raf being stupid." She sighed not wanting to think about it anymore, "I was gonna ask about Axel before we were rudely interrupted."

"About him, he told me he loved me," Ian said shyly.

"Shut the fuck up!" She screeched, garnering the attention of too many people around them, "How do you go from a few dates here and there to professing love?!" She asked a little quieter, unable to contain her giddiness.

"Things got intense during a short period, granted we were friends before we started dating." He said.

"I have so many questions; when did this happen? Did you say it back? Are you guys boyfriends now? Have you slept together?" She whispered the last part.