Chapter 4: Running X A X Project

"That's not a problem! I love humans! They're all

so

funny."

Wasn't that always the problem..
you never looked into things enough.

"Quit using a damn skateboard!"

Skateboard?

I mean- it'd be fair. According to the exam.

Maybe I could do something similar? I don't have anything like that though. Maybe I could make something though. Roller skates would be the easiest.

What would I make them out of though?

The world began to settle a bit more and detail was coming back to me. The pipes around the wall began to be more defined.

The pipes.

Small screws and bolts were hidden beneath the pipes closer to the ground. Those could be used to hold the wheels together.

The wheels are going to be the actual problem. Maybe one of the pipes has a rubber thing around it that I can use as wheels.

It didn't matter if I was left behind. I slowed and moved towards the wall. Once close enough, I grabbed a pipe and pulled it. It came off very easily and as it turns out, wasn't an actual pipe connected to anything.

The pipe itself wasn't made of hard metal, instead being a more bendy metal. Rings around it that held it together were made of a studied metal though.

I kept running and tried prying the metal rings off. It thankfully popped off easily because of the moldable metal around it.

The parts of the pipe that were attached to the wall had bigger rubber circles that were probably there to stop any leaks.

After fiddling around with it some more, I managed to get four crude wheels out of it. The harder part was making it functional. I was beginning to get discouraged.

"Look! The trash fits in well with the other trash," someone yelled.

I looked up and saw it was one of the brothers Tonpa had pointed out. They were pointing at me and laughing.

Damn, alright then.

Out of pure spite, I decided to continue trying. Pure spite is a great motivator after all. And, even if it'll only be useful for this phase of the exam or if I don't finish it, I'll have it for later. Nothing wrong with that.

Turning back to my little project, I focused on functionality. I pulled another pipe off the wall, similar to the one I pulled off earlier.

I started to breathe a bit heavier, then I realized we were running upstairs. My thighs were burning and my arms were beginning to get sore.

Focus. The wheels.

They need to be able to spin and run, so nothing should be connected too much.

After a bit more fiddling, I got something put together. It was extremely crude, barely looking like anything but a heap of metal scrap.