Chapter 9: Crack X in X the Glass

...

..

After Gon's little psychology game with one of the prisoners, the one where the prisoner had tampered with the candles, it was Kurapika's turn.

He was up against the blue-skinned prisoner. The blue prisoner had apparently had modifications done to his body to make him look all muscular and freaky. After the prisoner had turned around and showed Kurapika his tattoo after the first punch, things went south. For both of them.

Kurapika got flashbacks, apparently, to what happened to his clan. The tattoo was a twelve-legged spider, the symbol of the Phantom Troupe. Except, it wasn't the Troupe's symbol, it was a fake. It didn't have the number engraved into it as it should.

Kurapika's eyes turned scarlet at the sight of them. Then he picked Majitani, the blue prisoner, up by the jaw, and punched him right into the ground. It was very brutal. So brutal, Killua whistled at Kurapika, which I found funny.

Deep down, I think everyone knew that Kurapika was aware it was a fake, he even admitted it afterward. What probably happened was a trauma response, like Kurapika had said to me earlier when I dissociated.

That's how we all learned to keep spiders away from Kurapika.

However, since Kurapika didn't actually kill Majitani and vice versa, when Leorio went up for his fight it had to be delayed. The pink-skinned prisoner explained that to Leorio.

However, when she went up to Majitani, I just barely saw her drop... something. It was small and the size of her palm. It was clenched when she went up to him and was open and slack when she left.

While I was theorizing, everyone else argued over Kurapika not wanting to kill Majitani. Then when Leorio got upset, he came by the bars and began to sulk. "No, go sulk in a different corner," I said. Leorio didn't appreciate that. Too bad though, if I'm stuck to the bars I'm making them my personal space. And Leorio is in my personal space.

My eyes drifted over the pink prisoner. Although she was completely covered and in the dark, I could still see her eyes they were pinched as if she were smiling and they were flicking over to everyone.

Then she made eye contact with me. Her eyes became more squinted them. Perhaps she liked seeing me in chains.

Sadist.

Then I had a thought.

I'm chained up for your protection.

It was almost enough to make me laugh out loud. It wasn't the actual case, but it was enough to entertain me for a bit. When I refocused on the pink prisoner, she looked disturbed. She was still looking at me.

It was a funny situation, really.

After a lot of time had passed. Leorio wanted to check and see if Majitani had actually died in the time we waited. The pink prisoner proposed gambling time. They gambled on whether or not he was dead or unconscious, then on whether or not he was actually unconscious.

Majitani was pretending to be unconscious. The note thing I thought I saw earlier had actually happened. They nearly killed Majitani to prove whether or not he was actually unconscious. This left us 80 hours for the prisoners and 20 for us. It was salvageable.

And then it wasn't.

When the round actually began and the pink-skinned prisoner revealed her appearance, it sealed our fate. We would lose. She proposed they gamble on whether she's a man or a woman, and she'd let Leorio, a pre-med student, examine her.

And since it's Leorio, we lost 10 hours. All because he wanted to grope a girl. The worst part about it is that it was consensual. And he regrets nothing.