all over the place kind of day

november 2 2022
julia's pov

"juli you slept in, it's 9:25am." dad wakes me "shit shit shit shit." i don't think i've ever gotten up this fast "this is the first time you've been late since 5th grade, you're fine just be there." he chuckles "we have a football meet at 9:50am." i say shutting my door so i can change.

i get into white jeans, a brown and white striped sweater, black socks and my black converse, i put my hair into the classic braids, and i grab my backpack and football bag. i grab my phone the run down the steps, i get my lanyard off the table then run out the door.

i put my bags in the passenger seat and drive to school quickly. that's good time i made, it's 9:32am and the schools 15 minutes away. yeah i'll be there for the meet. we're not really sure what about but the coaches texted the group chat last night about having to be there.

i get to the school and i take my bags out carrying one on each shoulder. i press the little button on the side of the wall next to the front entrance. mrs.white unlocks the door and i go in getting a late slip.

it's 9:48, perfect.

i put my backpack in my locker and take my football bag heading down to the locker rooms. nico, jackson, and liam are in the rooms when i get there so i put my bag into my locker/cubby.

"do you know why we needed to be here?" i ask "no clue." they shrug. when the bell rings teammates make their way here. we all end up sitting at the benches that are infront of our lockers.

coaches make sure everyone's here and coach mike is holding an envelope. "so some of you guys are heading off to college this year some are you are off in two years then some are three." mike says "someone whose graduating this year got a letter." sean adds. okay i can narrow that down.

eric, nico, gabe, mason, levi, julian, luke, dylan, ryan, james, and me.

that's 11 people out of a 45, not bad.

"where are y'all going with this?" mason asks "anyone have a name starting with a j?" coach dan says. julian and i look across to each other "juli or julian?" landon asks "ms. urie." coach mike smiles handing me the letter.

"read it out loud!" gabe says while james and aiden are looking over my shoulders.

dear julia urie,

after reviewing many high school athletes around the country, your exceptional athletic ability, leadership, character, and commitment to not only your team but also academics were highlighted on our coaching staff. i am beyond thrilled to offer you an athletic scholarship to the university of georgia.

choosing the university of georgia will enable you to receive an outstanding education.

we as the georgia team are incredibly excited to hopefully have you on our team. the team and i think you would be an amazing addition to the team. we will do our part in giving you the support you will need to succeed in academics and athletics.

if you have any questions you can email me at ksmart@gmail.com.

sincerely,
the georgia bulldogs head coach, kirby smart.

i look up at the coaches who have wide smiles and i'm just sat in shock. "this is real?" i ask "sure is." coach mike nods, i look over at james and he hugs me tightly. "no fucking way." i whisper "yeah fucking way." james laughs "dude that's crazy!" conner yells making me laugh.

"thank you for putting up with me for the past 9 years." i hug coach mike. "you excited?" he asks "that's an understatement!" i laugh. it feels like i can't not smile right now.

there's so much happiness in this room it's assuring to me. i've always loved this team.

"the coach and quarterback are gonna be at the game tonight so he can actually meet you too." coach dan says "oh shittttt!" i cover my mouth making my guys laugh.

"alright that was what i needed you guys to come down for, go do your school stuff." the coaches say. james and i walk up together to our lockers, i've been non stop shaking.

i put the letter into the front pocket of my backpack and grab my spanish binder. james and i then head to spanish.

after school and into the 4th quater of our game against norco we're loosing 28-7 which is abnormal. we have 8 minutes left which is about 30 with all the stopping and going.

"let me run the ball, please." i say to the guys, we're at the 40 yard on the other side of the field. "are you sure?" patrick asks "don't second guess her." james backs me up.

we set up and james hands the ball off to me and i get past the whole fucking team. how the hell? well, i'm not complaining. i sprint the ball for a 60 yard touch down, the stands are all cheering and my offense comes and gives me high fives and all that.

when the game ended we won with a game winning kick. 31-28. i love when we get comebacks like that. after the usual quick conversation with our coaches we all head out and i do my cool down.

"24, julia, juli, urie, what do you want us to call you?" someone asks and i look up seeing will, the georgia head coach, and quarter back, stetson.

just like coach dan said.

"team always calls me juli." i smile shaking both their hands "cool down?" stetson asks "of course." i nod making them both smile a laugh. "i just wanna say thank you so much, i was literally shaking for a good hour after reading it." i chuckle "it was great seeing you okay tonight, you did great as always. i'm excited to maybe see you on our feild one day. we know that it's across the country but we have one of the best football teams in the states." will says "i'll do my best on convincing my parents, but if it were up to me i'd be there the day after graduation. it was great seeing you." i nod.