ch 7; the emergency 'babysitter'

While Knuckles is sitting down on the couch with the children, where they are watching cartoons, Shadow keeps walking nervously around.
For the first time in a long time, he and Knuckles decided to eat in a somewhat fancy restaurant. Something they've had to reserve like a week ahead of time.
But-... They might lose their table if Amy won't show up in any time soon...
And since the restaurant forbids children during certain hours, they can't take the children with them.
So, Amy really needs come over now.

Few minutes later, Shadow grunts annoyed and halted the stressed steps around the living room.
He was about to take the phone out, and call Amy, when the other called him instead.
The ebony hedgehog blinks surprised, and looks at the screen where; Amy/"Faker" popped up.
Then he answers, and puts the phone against the ear.
"Where are you?" Shadow asks a bit harshly.
"I'm sorry Shadow!-... I've got a sudden emergency at home... I've got a water leakage in the kitchen... But don't worry-... The plumber is here now... But I might be least a half hour late, from now..." she explains in a little rushed tune.
Shadow stiffened. Even another ten minutes might be in last minute to get in time for the table. But least a half hour?!... Then the table will most likely be given up to someone else...

Amy clears the throat.
"I'm sorry Shadow-..." she apologies while disappointments grasped Shadow.
The dark furred hedgehog lowered the ears, and turns around so he wouldn't see Knuckles' pitying gaze.
"... It's not your fault-... So, take your time... Knuckles and I, can eat somewhere else..."
"... Sorry-..." Amy mumbles until she gasps.
"Wait-..." she says and made Shadow to raise a brow.
"... Don't you think Silver can-... you know... Take care of Tikal and Lancelot the few moments until I can come over?... I'm sure the children would love to play with him" Amy suggests.
Shadow let's out a low gasp.
"Y-yeah-... You have right... They do love playing with him... And I do trust him around them for a short moment alone... Thanks Amy, I will give it a shoot and ask him..." he smiles.
Amy chuckles in relief.
"Great-... And I wouldn't be worried if he would or not... He always tries helping everyone"
"Yeah-... " Shadow says shortly before they hang up.

Then Shadow swiftly called Silver instead.
A few seconds later, who felt as minutes for the stressed hedgehog, Silver answered.
"Hi?-... I didn't thought you would call... Don't you have a date today?" Silver asks with noises from his side of the line. Probably from a shooting game.
Shadow shrugs.
"Yeah-... But Amy is really late due a water leak at her place..."
Silver exhales surprised.
"That sucks-... So, no date today?" He asks a bit unfocused.
"No-... Or I mean-... Yes, we will still have a date today... But I wanted to ask you, if you could maybe come over, and keep an eye at the children until Amy comes?" He asks a slightly worried that, Silver would say no.
Silver grunts confused.
"... If I?-..."
Shadow swallows hardly.
"If you can babysit Tikal and Lancelot until Amy can take over..." he explains.
Shadow could hear how a gun fired from Silver's place, and how the other grunts annoyed where he exhales a low 'fuck' under the breath.
Then the sounds from Silver place, gets muted as Silver paused the game.
Silver clears the throat while adjusting the phone.
"... D-do you want me to take care of the children until Amy C-can?..." he asks worried.
Shadow nods.
"I would really appreciate if you could come over like now-... And help me with that..."
A short silence later, Silver swallows nervously.
"O-okay-... I can D-do T-that-..." he stutters.
"-I think..." he adds in low voice, more for himself than for the other.
Shadow exhales in relief.
"Thanks-..."

*** In less than ten minutes***

Knuckles and Shadow stands in the hallway, where they are waving good bye to the children and Silver.
Shadow smiles at the children, where he gives a short side-look at Silver.
"Remeber-... No playing upstairs... It's better you stay down here, and play... I don't want a phone call where any of you have fallen in the stairs..."
Tikal and Lancelot nod.
"Okay papa!-..." The girl answers with a bright smile.
Shadow nods.
"Good girl-..." he says, and rubs the hand on top of Tikal's head where the hand strokes over her ears. The only thing she seems have gotten from him as hedgehog.
Tikal giggles over the affection.