•Chapter 13•

"I Know Where You're Going—I've
Seen Where You've Been"

"I Know Where You're Going—I've Seen Where You've Been"

-§§§-

Cory called Colin after checking into a hotel. If it hadn't been for the desire of a hot shower, he would've just slept in his car instead of going through the trouble of it.

Cory reassured Colin that he had been drinking when he'd written that letter; that it was merely a testimony he had written on a whim—an episodic wallow of despair and nothing more.

When Colin asked where Cory had ran off to, Cory admitted that he was back home, and that he had taken his advice and was really going to talk to her this time.

The deal was that Cory had to check in with Colin everyday—no later than 11pm, which would be 8pm Colin's time. If Colin didn't hear from Cory by 8pm everyday on the dot, he would alert the authorities.

Cory went along with the agreement, but only to keep Colin off his back for a little while longer.

Something was happening—something Cory couldn't explain. Alida may have not particularly warmed up to him upon his return, but for some unbeknownst reason, her daughter had.

Cory had never really cared much for kids. It wasn't because he didn't like children, it was because he had never really been exposed to them for longer than a quick picture, aside from Colin's young son—but he was an exception.

Cory was uncomfortable around other children—or maybe he was uncomfortable around their Mother's.

Cory froze like a deer in headlights every time someone handed off their child to him, (a perfect stranger) all for a picture. He tried talking to them, but didn't really know what to say.

With Zora, however, their conversation came naturally. Perhaps it was because they were both a little different, or because they shared the same interests—maybe it was because he was in love with her Mother.

Cory wasn't sure why he had insisted on coming back to Alida's house, but when he saw Zora was disappointed by him leaving upon their return from Butch's Diner, Cory couldn't help but to try and appease the little girl.

Cory took notice that Alida seemed irked by his claim to come back. He couldn't be sure if that vexed look in her eyes was because he had worn out his welcome, or if it meant that she didn't believe him.

He hoped that her expression was caused by the latter, or else he was about to look like a jackass when she finally arrived home.

He had been sitting on her front porch for almost three hours—his phone nearly dead. Cory decided to smoke one more cigarette before calling it a night, hoping to catch Alida sometime tomorrow. Hopefully by then, he'd be more inclined to end it all.