Chapter 4

TW: PTSD, FLASHBACKS

Then I hear three sharp knocks at my door...

I swallow the saliva pooling in my mouth before standing to open the door. I was expecting it to be a servant or someone else, but it was Kamek who readily greeted me with hostility. "I hope you know that was incredibly rude and unprofessional, your behavior tonight. The King was very upset after you left so abruptly!" He starts screeching at me, making a scene right in the hallway. He then pauses his screaming for a moment, "Are you, crying?" He asks. I reach up and touch my cheek to find the wet warmth of tears streaming down my face. "ah, dammit not again. Hang on one second, I'm sorry." I stammer, quickly wiping my disgusting emotions away. I turn my back to Kamek, not wanting anybody, especially not him, to see me like this. He touches my shoulder... no... no not again... not right now, please!

"Come on, y/n get up!" Mario yells at me. "How the hell do you expect to protect your princess if you snap like a dry twig from one punch?!" I'm lying on my back on the grounds of the training yard of Peach's castle, heaving. Mario hovers over me to my left before kicking me hard in my ribs. I cry out in pain, then I reach out for my staff. It comes to my hand and I use it as leverage to stand up. Then out of nowhere, Luigi comes up behind me and sweeps my legs underneath me, grabbing my staff from me in the process. I'm on my back again, looking up at the brothers that are supposed to protect everyone in the mushroom kingdom, that is, everyone except me. They both tsk at my performance, before sauntering off. I call my staff back to me out of Luigi's grip. I crawl back up to a standing position, holding my side where Mario kicked me. Using what little strength I have left, I stand up straight, before channeling my energy into my staff and slamming it down, setting the whole training yard on fire. And giving the brothers second degree burns, which resulted in me getting beaten almost to death by Peach's guards and thrown in the dungeon for three weeks.

My heart is pounding in my ears, my vision blinded by tears. Where am I? What happend? I can hear people talking around me, who are they? Are they a threat? They're yelling at me, they are a threat. I channel some of my energy into my palms and lunge at whoever is in front of me, going for the throat. Then my vision clears, and I'm being suspended in the air. I can hear the voices clearly now... Bowser, Kamek, and some of his minions are staring up at me. Some with anger, some with fear, but most with pity. Kamek gently sets me back down on the plush carpet of my room. I immediately break down and start sobbing on the floor, spitting out apologies like it was my job. They all try their best to soothe me. After I had calmed down enough to speak I looked up at Kamek with tears in my eyes. "I didn't hurt anybody... did I?" I whisper, my words getting caught in my throat. He shakes his head, and places his hand on mine. I feel his magic coursing through me, relaxing every nerve in my body, clearing my mind. My eyelids become heavy and I feel myself falling unconscious again, but this time a much more pleasant vision comes to me.

I open my eyes to look at the beautiful scenery around me. A lavish picnic under a willow tree set up on a soft, checkered blanket. Wildflowers growing all around us. Us... Bowser and Jr. are there, laughing. Bowser extends his hand out to me, I reach out and take it. He pulls me into him, giving me a big, toothy smile as he hugs me. He feels warm... safe... I melt into him and close my eyes.

My head hurts. Bad. My eyes sting too, and I feel all sweaty. I try to sit up, but it makes my migraine worse, so I just lie back down and try to take deep breaths to ease the pain. My door opens and in walks Kamek and Bowser...  

                                                                             (727 words)

AN: Sorry this is a shorter chapter. Been trying to not psyche myself up for the second semester. I'll try to update as consistently as possible, but y'know life happens. If there's anything in particular you'd like to see or thing for me to add, suggestions are welcome! And thank you so much for your support. 

                                                 Sincerely, 

                                                                     Author Shed <3