Chapter 8

Sunlight streams in through a small gap in between the curtains, catching the dust in the air and making the room sparkle. Bowser is spooning me, his arm wrapped tightly and protectively around my stomach. I snuggle closer to him, my shoulder blades pressed up against his chest that rises and falls slowly as he breathes. He grumbles and I feel him pull away for a split second before holding me tighter and turning me around to face him. I smile up at his soft, half-awake expression. I bet even Peach has never seen this side of him, she always took him for granted, just like everything else. Bowser pulls me out of my thoughts by gently nudging my cheek with his claw, tracing over small scars I got from scratching too hard when I had chicken pox as a kid. He smiles gently, "How'd ya sleep? No nightmares, right?" His voice his deep and raspy. I nod and hold onto his hand with my much smaller injured hand. He sighs deeply and rolls over so he's now on top of me, his hands on either side of my head. My cheeks burn, and his eyes narrow. He leans down and whispers in my ear, his hot breath making my hair stand on end, "I have a very special day planned for you..." my breath hitches, making him chuckle. He climbs off of me and goes over to the curtains before opening them wide. I shield my eyes with my hands and groan, before I'm lifted off the bed and carried out the window onto the balcony. I'm placed back on my feet and my eyes finally adjust to the light, revealing the beautiful gardens. Rose bushes stretching all around, framing the courtyard in red and green. A fountain sits in the middle, spewing water from its center, gently nudging the blooming water lilies on the surface. Honey bees and butterflies as well as other pollinators fly all around, occasionally stopping to grab a drink of nectar from various flowers. Bowser gently places his hand on my back, catching my attention. "What's your favorite flower, y/n?" He asks. His voice sounds so smooth and gentle, I almost forget that there are entire kingdoms that fear his name. If only more people could see this side of him...

"I-I um, I don't know. I never really had a chance to figure out my favorite anything, and Peach never let me escort her through her garden so I've never even seen this many flowers before." He smiles sympathetically. A few curious butterflies fly closer to us, and one lands on my nose, another in my hair, and a third settles on my shoulder. Bowser and I freeze, scared to disturb them. Bowser whispers so quiet I can barely hear him, "Those are Lotis Blue butterflies, they're one of the endangered species we have here." My eyes cross to look at the little creature on my nose, its fuzzy little face peering into my eyes. I try not to giggle as it's little tube-like tongue licks at my skin. The one in my hair flies over to Bowser and lands on one of his horns. But he's not focused on the butterflies, his deep red eyes fixed on me and my new found fascination with insects. Our eyes meet, and I feel something in my chest tighten, almost pulling me toward him. The butterflies fly away, leaving just me and Bowser and the suffocating space between us.  Bowser takes a step forward, lifts my head up with his claw, leans in and....

"HEY DAD! Y/N!!! OVER HERE!!!" Jr.'s voice can be heard on the other side of the garden, where we see him standing under a large oak tree, jumping up and down and waving like a- well, like a little kid. The tender moment between us is broken and we both just stand there awkwardly before Bowser leans over the balcony, "What is it, son?" He yells back. "Kamek and I made you two a breakfast picnic!" He screeches. Bowser chuckles before turning back to me, "Well, we don't want to leave him waiting, do we now, pumpkin?" My head almost snaps off from how fast I turned around, my face probably red as a tomato. Did he just-? I shake it off and just nod, afraid my heart might jump out of my mouth if I try to speak. Then I finally take note of my appearance. I'm still wearing my dress clothes from four days ago, and their now wrinkled beyond repair and smell like sweat. I look back up to find that Bowser has disappeared back into my room, and I peek inside to see him rummaging through my wardrobe. I never got the chance to look through everything, so I didn't even know there were clothes in there. I come up behind him and tap his shell. "What'cha doin'?" I ask, balancing on the balls of my feet to peer over him. He turns back around with a dumb smile plastered on his face and holds up a new outfit for me. It's a beautiful pale yellow sundress/dress shirt with little butterflies on it. He hands it to me, "You get dressed, I have something else for you." He says, his dorky smile not wavering. I also begin to smile like an idiot as he waves goodbye and he's out the door leaving me to change. 

I freshen myself up and get dressed, and sit by my vanity, making sure I look presentable before Bowser gets back. He opens the door, giddy as ever and approaches me with something hidden behind his back. "Close your eyes." He instructs. "Bowser, I really don't think-" "would ya just close 'em?" He repeats again looking at me through the vanity mirror. I sigh and close my eyes, before I feel the coolness of metal falling around my neck. "Okay, and, open!" My eyes fall to my chest where the most beautiful ruby necklace now lays.

 "Okay, and, open!" My eyes fall to my chest where the most beautiful ruby necklace now lays

My fingers graze over the gem's lustrous surface, and reach under it to get a better look. My eyes study it closely, my reflection distorted in the ruby. I must have been quiet for too long because Bowser's face had fallen, and he looked disappointed. "You don't like it, do you?" He mumbles, moving away from the vanity. I stood up so fast I knocked over the stool I was sitting on and rushed over and clutched his hand tightly. "Are you kidding?! I love it! It's absolutely beautiful! Thank you, thank you, thank you!" I was jumping up and down, practically hugging his arm. No one had ever done something this nice for me, not even on special occasions. He quickly becomes excited again, letting out a hearty laugh before scooping me up in his arms again and pressing his forehead to mine. My arms involuntary wrap around his thick neck as we both laugh like maniacs at nothing in particular. We both manage to stop laughing for the most part, only a few giggle escaping my lips now. "It suits you, pumpkin." He says fiddling with the chain around my neck. The tight feeling in my chest returns, and I feel drawn to him, even though there's not much else I could do to be closer to him except... 

My hand finds its way under his jaw, catching his attention and forcing me to look into his enchantingly deep eyes. His claws lightly find their way into my hair, pulling me closer to him. We both lean in, our eyes close.

Fireworks. The only way to describe this feeling is like fireworks going off in my mind. He feels so warm. Nothing could ruin this moment. He pulls away, his cheeks flushed and red. I rest my head on his shoulder. "How 'bout breakfast now, pumpkin?" I nod and yawn into his shoulder, so content I could fall asleep just like this. He chuckles, "Okay, I'll carry you as long as you stay awake the whole ride, deal?" He says, playfully jostling me to an upright position. I smile and mutter a quiet apology as we walk out the door and make our way to the gardens.

Bowser's P.O.V.

My mind is racing, but I need to keep it together. At least in front of them. Last thing I want them to see is me fall apart right after kissing them. They make me feel this uncontrollable need to protect them, and if I'm not right by their side then I'll worry myself to death! It's so annoying, their so annoying! But I guess it is worth it to see them so happy for once. They deserve some rest.

                                             (1470 words)

A.N.

Sorry it's taken me so long to get this chapter out, I've been reaaaaallly busy with school and stuff. But not to toot my own horn or anything but I think I've outdone myself with this one. This is the fluffiest crap I've ever written and I'm really proud of it. I hope you enjoy and if there's anything else you'd like to see let me know and please consider following me!

                                                                          Sincerely,

                                                 Author Shed <3