Chapter 4

THEN

1 month earlier

Aries Cooney had a reputation for always being late. But she was never late by an hour or two hours. She was always late by a couple of minutes, which meant she tried to be on time. She always held a sense of feeling that there was always more time and she'd said so, with a shrug, if someone told her to hurry up. But being late led to good strong legs because she was always rushing everywhere.

Today wasn't the exception. She was running towards the diner on the outskirts of town, where she was supposed to meet Robbie. It was the place where they spent a major part of their time in. It was secluded and therefore not many people went. The cooks and servers were nice. They called them by their first names. And Robbie and Aries always tipped them well.

She raced towards the diner, stopping in front of the door, panting. She pulled the door open, with the sound of a doorbell hanging above going off. She walked in, adjusting her black cardigan. She spotted Robbie sitting on a stool, by the diner's bar. His back was turned to her as he watched the TV. There was an eerie silence surrounding the diner, suffocating her.

This only meant one thing.

"Another one?" She asked.

Robbie turned around startled, jumping slightly on his seat. He nodded. She took the seat next to him and sighed. Bodies had been turning up for the last six months, with their throats slit, all blood drained from their bodies. And there was no pattern to these murders. So far there had been two adults killed, one woman and one man, of different ethnicities. There had been two teenagers killed, both girls, attending different schools. For all the police knew all the people that had been murdered didn't have a single thing in common.

The newest body that had appeared was a pregnant woman in her early thirties. Aries closed her eyes and tried not to listen. She didn't understand why someone would kill people. She could never be so angry, so passionate or so sad, to do such a thing. Or whatever people that killed felt. The news ended and she turned towards Robbie that had a full plate in front of him. It didn't look like anything she recognized.

"What the hell is that?" She asked.

"Grasshoppers." He replied.

"Ew," she said. Robbie shrugged his shoulders, grabbed a handful and popped them inside his mouth, chewing. The grasshoppers sounded crunchy, almost like he was eating chips. Robbie liked to try new foods once in a while. And Aries thought it was gross. "And yet you question why girls don't kiss you. With what that mouth eats, who would?"

"I don't see anyone kissing you either," he said. She nodded her head in agreement, tapping her fingers on the bar. He grabbed another handful and popped them inside his mouth. "You know what Aries? I dare you to have a couple."

"No."

"Come on! They are fried grasshoppers Aries. Fried, everything tastes better fried-" he began.

"No."

"Aries please, live a little. Please, please-"

"No.....uh...wait," she paused for a moment. She thought of ways to turn this in her favor. She clasped her hands together as thought of the possibilities. Robbie waited patiently, with his eyebrows raised. "I'll do it if you do two things for me."

"Alright....what two things do you speak of?" He asked.

"Robbie some advice, next time listen first to what a person wants you to do and then agree to do it, alright? I want twenty bucks and for you to try the spell that makes you speak Spanish." She smiled deviously and imagined Robbie with a Spanish accent.