Chapter 1

At first there was frantic running.

Then there was shouting.

Followed by a stumble of two clumsy legs—falling was only inevitable.

Aries Cooney heard footsteps crunching dried leafs. Despite being to hear she wasn't able to open her eyes. She had a memory resurface, while she lied in an unknown place, after having ran a short distance because someone was chasing her.

The memory was of when she was thirteen years old. She used to be obsessed with angels. She would spend hours upon hours drawing angel wings. And sometimes they would turn out fine. But most of the time she simply crumpled the piece of paper, throwing it away and with it throwing the dream of ever seeing angel wings. But thirteen year old Aries wasn't obsessed with angels themselves but rather with the ideal that someone, someday might save her.

The memory seemed to fit how she felt right this second. She heard the noise of footsteps coming closer and closer. Her eyes wouldn't respond to the simple command of opening. As the moments passed and she heard the footsteps stop, she lifted her head up. Opening her eyes all she saw was darkness. But her eyes weren't faulty. It was dark out in the field of dried grass where she now sat. She remembered now, running away from the shouting commands of Robbie.

"Robbie?" She asked.

"Aries. God damn woman, why the hell were you running away from me?" He questioned. As her eyes slowly adjusted to the darkness she saw him take a seat next to her. He reached out to her, touching her forehead. She flinched from his touch scooting away.

"I didn't know it was you. I just heard someone shouting after me. I've been cautious lately-"

"More like paranoid. But whatever you say. Hey, you took a pretty nasty fall. Let me walk you home. Or your aunt will be worried-"

"No, no, no. Don't take me home. Let me stay at your place today please, Robbie. I-"

"No. Don't you remember? There's a meeting today. You have to get all cleaned up and then I have to take you there. We can't be late. And before we continue interrupting each other, there are no buts. You need to attend. So come on now. Take my hand," he said after he stood up. He stuck his hand out offering. Taking his warm hand into hers she stood up slowly. Yet her world still spun. And her head felt like she was being stabbed at all corners.

They began to walk towards the houses at the end of the field of dried grass. She remembered now, someone shouting after her when she exited her house, her running on the empty field until she fell and hit her head on a rock, Robbie finding her. Robbie and she had been friends since they were little. He was in the beginning a quiet child who would keep to himself. And because Aries wouldn't stop talking, they were a perfect match.

When they reached her house her aunt had already left for the meeting. Despite this, Robbie wasn't in a hurry. He slowly led Aries towards the restroom where he sat her on the closed toilet seat. He sifted through her medicate cabinet finding a first aid kit. He opened the first aid kit and put the kit aside as he took out a rubbing alcohol pad. Aries always had a way of telling when Robbie was highly focused on something. He always stuck his tongue out. He stuck his tongue out when he drove, whenever he did a math equation, and whenever he tried to understand something Aries said.

"Are you going to take care of me Robbie? Put a bandage on my forehead and everything?" She asked nudging his shoulder. He grinned and leaned towards her. He opened the alcohol pad and paused. "It's going to hurt. I know. Just do it Robbie-"

"Ouch! You son of a gun! You didn't even warn me." She groaned.

He stepped aside licking his lips. Scrutinizing her he paid attention to her forehead but didn't stop there. His eyes traveled down to her round chocolate colored eyes, to her big and unkempt eyebrows, to her small shaped lips, to her brown hair which fell just below her breasts. Looking up he cleared his throat. Aries looked down to her brown combat boots.